tilting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilting issue

Need some trouble shooting tips. I have a 115 V4 Johnson 92. Yesterday my tilt started to malfunction. It would start tilting down without me pressing the switch!

Bad relays or switch I'd say. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

x2^^^^
      Today is a new day!!

Comment

X3
        Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
        (AKA Evans Marine Services)
        4340 19th St.
        Bacliff, Texas 77518
        http://evansmarine.net
        http://boatwerxtx.com
        main@boatwerxtx.com
        281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

X4
          Beandaddy

Comment

YES, I would have to say Replace the Switch!! Just the saltwater air can rust out the switch making it stay on all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
              ....if you have a tilt switch on the lower cowling it probably took some moisture. Does your engine have a lower cowling tilt switch??
              yea you are probably correct. It is a 1992 V4 Johnson. Thank you sir.

Comment

Its pretty normal!I have same engine and sooner or later it will happen to me!Oh and x5 by the way!!
                West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Is it normal for the relays to have a greasy substance on the prongs?

Comment

That means you have a short in the wiring somewhere. I have the opposite problem . At times my tilt does not work but if I wiggle my throttle handle it will work. You probably have some worn wires in the throtlle. Menaing they have rubbed the coating off and are touching bare wire to engage your tilt.Just saying if your tilt is going to activate it has to be bypassing your switch. Right? You could bypass the lower unit switch to find out where it is.
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pieman View Post
                      Is it normal for the relays to have a greasy substance on the prongs?
                      Yes always coat your electrcial connections with di electric grease
                      /spark plug grease
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Im not very good with wiring issues. Is bypassing the switch complicated? I have checked the relay junction box and verything looks good and clean no corrosion so I will take a look at the throttle controls for any wear next.

Comment

Working...
                        X