July Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July Fishing

I am coming down in July. I am bringing my 4 Grandsons. We are staying in Jamaica. We have our own boat.

What do you recommend that we fish for in West Bay during July?

Any help regarding areas, or bait will be greatly appreciated. I want my grand sons to have a great experience.

Thanks

Anchor up in a gut behind SLP and throw live shrimp. You will catch something.

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
      Anchor up in a gut behind SLP and throw live shrimp. You will catch something.
      Ditto......Look for bait/Slicks and give em some shrimp under popping corks. You can also free line shrimp around the reefs.
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Tom:

Post up on here about 2 weeks before coming down and ask the same question-by then fishing should be wide open and you will get some up to date info and ideas. San Luis Pass is hard to navigate-lotta sand bars-ya go from 3-4' to 6" in one second, so ya need to know how to navigate west bay and especially San Luis Pass (SLP). Also, several reefs (Shell island, Carancua) and the Geotubes (barriers placed to rebuild marsh areas and they are inches underwater during high tides and can rip off your lower unit or wreck your boat) that may ruin your day quickly-I suggest you get a Hookset or Hotspot map and study it some and use Google Earth to spot some areas of reefs/islands to watch out for. Also, Jam Beach has their own Marine Certified Police, so be sure to follow all rules-in July they work the canals pretty hard and check for all your stuff.

Looking forward to your grandkids catching and carrying on fishing traditions!!
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

July...sun stroke.
          Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
          "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Take your boat and fish the lights around the Jamaica Beach canals at night. The fish should be thick in July, just creep up on the light and pitch a free-lined live shrimp into the lights. Easy action for kids, and you can use zebcos. The canals are protected from the wind, and it's not blistering hot at night. That is the only bay-fishing that I do these days

Comment

Thanks so much to all of you for the information.

Live shrimp is so hard to keep alive. Do you have suggestions for that?

Also, we have a nice place in Jamaica,,,300 feet of canal property,,,,so are some of you saying fishing right in the canal will produce a lot of fish?

Comment

Another question - Where can I acquire a good navigation map,,,,with depth information

Comment

Academy and FTU have maps. Just go to Sea Isle marina at 5-6am and just follow someone to their spot an potlick em! When you get in town shoot me a PM and I'll give you an update
                  Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

In the summer when it is scorching, we will fill a ziplock bag full of ice, then double-bag it to make sure none of the freshwater can escape. Then we drop the bag of ice into our shrimp bucket, it keeps the water in your bucket from getting too hot which keeps the shrimp alive longer

Comment

Surf should be good by then
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

If its a west wind I would fish on the west bank near the geotubes with live shrimp. Easy access with a boat
                        "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Ghandi

Comment

The time has finally arrived. I will be visiting you guys for a week, starting tomorrow.

From the charts I have been able to locate on-line sure does seem to be a lot of obstacles in the West Bay,,,,I haven't gotten a depth chart yet,,,,sure hope Academy down there has one.

We are staying in one of the houses in Jamaica Beach. Our house is near the end of one of the peninsulas.

Someone suggested fishing the docks at night. Do you guys think the kids can catch some decent fish if we just string a light and fish right there on our peer?

Also there appears to be a reef, carancahua, right as we come out of our dock. Is there good fishing there this time of year

Comment

Originally posted by tom View Post
                            Thanks so much to all of you for the information.

Live shrimp is so hard to keep alive. Do you have suggestions for that?

Also, we have a nice place in Jamaica,,,300 feet of canal property,,,,so are some of you saying fishing right in the canal will produce a lot of fish?
                            An aerator is very basic to keeping shrimp alive , if you are not using one?
                            The ice in a ziplock is secondary.

Comment

Also an bubble box or aerator is good with the ice bag. You can pick them up at Academy. Also the maps that academy have are pretty good. Just be careful, west bay can be tough if you don't know where your going. I'm still pretty new and working on my second lower unit!

Comment

Working...
                              X