Slow SLP bite, Great Night Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow SLP bite, Great Night Lights

Fished Friday, 5-8 under lights with soft plastics. Managed a limit of nice trout with the biggest going 22". Thought to myself Saturday would be on.

Got to bed early Friday night and headed to the south shoreline of SLP Saturday Morning. The greenest water started about a mile east of the pass wading area but the water at the pass was decent looking. Winds were still kicking and the waves were definately there too. Saw bait everywhere, birds working all over the place. I was close to the green house too. Threw she dogs, catch 2000's, spook jr... It wasn't until later that a good friend reminded me to go larger on the bait to make more noise because of the waves. Anyway, no bites there. Went to guts... got a couple of hits but no big blow ups. Went to another spot I like further up the south shoreline and threw out the drift sock working the water in front of the boat. Managed a 21" trout. After another hour of no action parked at the geo tubes off Snake Island. Top water wasn't doing it this day so switched to soft plastics. Saw a HUUuuGE blow up. Unfortunately never got to see the culpret behind all that power. Day ended with only the 21" trout. Saw Robolo on my way in.

Saturday night under the lights I caught the remaining 9 trout and a 20" red. My wife wanted to fish and I could not get her to throw a plastic so I told her I'd buy some shrimp for Sunday and she could fish.

Sunday night under the lights she got a limit or trout. Her first limit!!! I caught a few in between netting and drinking beer. Oh, I got her to catch one trout on soft plastics so now she's determined to learn it since it was one of her better fish and I said "you'll get more quality fish in artificials". I may have made a monster hahahah

Tight lines
    Joe
    Last edited by Race1Mopar; May 11, 2009, 09:15 AM.

Great report Joe. Neat about the wife's fishing/limit-way to go! Like I said Saturday-trade ya boats anytime!!

Thanks!
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Hey Jerry,
      Something to think about. Remember when we were in the canal and you kept the boat on point. yeaaaaa my 19, with a pad in the back and maybe a 15degree deadrise was so manuverable it was rediculous. I could keep that boat in one spot, period! This 23, with the tunnel on it. Tunnels don't respond well backing up, and with a 23 it wants to respond even less so making it stay where you want it in tight quarters is a challenge.

That said, that's it's only true flaw and it's one I can live with since it really has allowed me to go places my other boat would not.

Joe

Comment

But mine slides in the wind real bad, so when putting in the lift or on a trailer, it will cockeye real easy with a cross wind-not much chine holding the bottom on cross wind. Saturday am stunk for us-had GF's new S.I.L. and they were leaving by noon. We fished about 2 hours and nada-east and west of Jam Beach. My brother and his buddy did real well Friday eve and saturday am on S Shore near Sea Isle to SLP.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks for the report. Always fun to see the look on someone elses face when they are learning to fish and they start catching them

Comment

Thanks for the report, we tried fishing our new underwater lights this weekend, but I am thinking all the dead fish messed up the action. It will get better and then it is on.
            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Thanks for the report

Good to hear that the wife got to get in on the action too.
              "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Nice report Mopar. i am ready fro some fishin' lights soon.
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Good report! Way to go on the limits! Any pics?

We might have to have a FWE Night Light Excursion
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Man I am ready for some sleepless nights this week

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                      Good report! Way to go on the limits! Any pics?

We might have to have a FWE Night Light Excursion
                      I did take some but left the camera in Galveston. I should be back this weekend and can transfer them to my computer then.

It was a goooood weekend to fish the lights! I was a vacuum packin fool. Everything I caught Monday and Monday night I let go to fight another day. Figured I had enough for now. Broke out the fryer for the first time since the hurricane and let me tell you... with all the walls back up and fryer running it felt just like the old days.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X