Choosing a color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a color

Colors, colors, and more colors. It amazes me the color combos that are out on the market today. Which ones work? Which ones catch more fish? Well, I beleive they all work but each one has its time and place. But I do beleive some work better than others. Maybe its because I have a high confidence in a certain bait that leads me to beleive this bait works better than others in catching fish. If you have high confidence in a bait you will tend to throw it more often resulting in more fish and an even higher confidence factor.
    First of all. Can a fish even see color? Yes, they can see colors. Some fish see better than others but coastal and fresh water fish tend to have an equal balance of rod and cone cells. Fish have two basic types of light receptor cells. Rod cells and cone cells. Rod cells enables the fish to respond to black and white and the cone cells makes them respond to color.
    Fish can switch from the rod cells to the cone cells when the light conditions change. Rods cells are very sensentive to light and produce very poorly defined images. As the level of daylight increases fish will start to use thier cone cells which will allow to see color more effective. When the light conditions change fish have pigments in thier eyes that will adjust the rod cells according to the light condition. the quicker a fish can make the adjustment the quicker the fish can locate food.
    With that said, which baits work best under which light conditions?
    At night I would be willing to throw black, red, or purple. These colors tend to produce a better silhouette but may stand out too much on a brighter sunnier day. On a brighter day I will choose a bait with brighter colors with maybe some flash on the sides of the bait. The Chrome sided She Dog with the Blue, black, or Chartreuse backs are a good option here aswell as the Skitterwalks in the same color patterns. It is a good idea to use a bigger bait in rougher conditions since visibility can be reduced. Bigger and noisier can be more efffective. On cloudy days the fluorescent colors will be my go to bait. Chartreuse is a good go to color for those cloudy days. This color is energized by ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet light is more common on those cloudy days which will make the fluorescent colors more visible to active feeding fish. When the water is real clear I sometimes like to throw a natural colored bait like a mullet, redfish, trout, or other bait fish pattern topwater. This can be real effective when the water is too clear and the fish are real skittish.
    Here are a few baits I would throw on a clear sunny day or even a cloudy day.
    baits are:
    chrome Super Spook
    Blue/Silver/white Skitterwalk
    Char/silver/char Skitterwalk
    Char/silver/white Top Dog Jr. (One of my favorites)

Pic 2 Natural baits I might throw in gin clear water
    Mullet pattern Supper Spook
    Redfish Patter Super Spook

Pic 3 Low-light baits in clear water. Baits I may start the morning off with
    Bone/chrome/bone She Dog (one of my favorites)
    Bone Top Dog Jr.
    Redhead/ Bone skitterwalk
    Bone Skitterwalk (They say bone I say white)
    Pink/silver/pink Top Dog Jr.
    Char/pearl/Char She Dog (Favorite early morning bait)

Pic 4 Muddy water or night time baits
    Black/char Super Spook
    Black/char She dog
    Firetiger Top Dog Jr.
    Redhead/white Super Spook
    Blue/Char/orange She Dog
    Black/bone/silver/orange Top Dog

These are just a few colors I like to throw that can be effective under the right light conditions.

AQUA PIMP
    AQUA PIMP......
    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Aqua, your a wealth of knowledge! Thanks for posting this!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

What a great informative "article" lol. Thanks for sharing your wisdom
      Last edited by XtremeAngler; July 18, 2008, 09:46 PM. Reason: sp
      XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

Working...
      X