Back from Venice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from Venice!

Went to Venice to fish with Capt. Hunter of Paradise Outfitters. He called us and asked us to be at the docks by 4:45 as he found the fish and wanted to be there before the other boats heard about it. We show up to 50 degree weather with wind lowing 5-10. We headed out the river and went out a few miles for the first stop. There were six of us on the trip and Capt. Hunter had the 32 foot Twin Vee with twin 300 Yamaha's so there was plenty of room for us six, the captain, and the mate.

First lines in the water at 6:00 and we had six wahoo by 7:00. Two of the big fellas went 90-95 pounds. By 7:00 the word was out and we immediately had boats all around us hooking up. Give the credit to Hunter as he had us there before ANYONE and as a result we doubled what they were catching.

Moved on hitting a few rigs as we made our way to the lump. Picked up one yellowfin and two blacks as well as maybe a half dozen more big wahoo.

The fun part came along when my buddy Allen took his turn. A nice fish was spinning the line and Allen had to really work to get in in. Not a lot of running in this fish, just a real heavy tug. As he got closer all of sudden the job got easier and we saw why when just a amberjack head showed up with an extremely big mako right behind it. I tried my best to get all I could of him and you can see that on the you tube link I posted. That was pretty cool being that close to that fish!

We hooked one other mako and lost him and lost another 'hoo to a third. Exciting to say the least. Seas started getting rougher and heavier as a storm approached so we decided to head in early but we were too dang tired from those wahoo's to care...it was a great day.

Went back to the lodge and cooked up yellow fin. Outstanding.

Went back to the docks the next day in 40 degree weather with wind blowing about a million. They said that the redfish bite slowed because of that but if this is slow I would love to see it when it's hot. We had two boats and between us brought back 30 reds (limits) and threw back around another 30. Also, with the fresh water in there I hooked three nice blue cats with one going 25 pounds I would guess...good eating there. We were fishing back lakes tossing plastics under a popping cork right up to the reeds. Too far off the reeds and you catch zero. Put in on the edge of the reeds and you would have to pop it a couple of times and you would get hit pretty regular. We would hit an area, catch a few, move to a new area. Kind of like that all morning. Again, by lunch limited out and headed in.

Great couple days on the water with good friends. A little plug for Capt. Hunter at Paradise. If you are headed to Venice and want to go offshore, you need to contact him. I have been many many times with many many guides and he is by far the best, most professional, and all business. He will put you on the fish and I couldn't help but notice that we caught double what the other captains did.

Attached Files
    sigpic

Woahhh that looks like a great trip! Thanks for the pics!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

Way cool man. looks like you had quite a trip.

Comment

Fantastic! Sounds like a great trip!
        "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Damn, gotta love the pelican state.

Comment

Little over 2 and that includes gas and tip...
            sigpic

Comment

Mann...I wanna go now!
              Resident Ninja

Comment

I'm Ready Myself, Awesome Pictures!!!
                Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                4340 19th St.
                Bacliff, Texas 77518
                http://evansmarine.net
                http://boatwerxtx.com
                main@boatwerxtx.com
                281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Looks like you guys had an awesome time.. I'm jealous of all that wahoo, I had it for my first time in the Keys this past summer and loved it. I cut them into steaks n threw them on the grill. I'm hungry now and I just ate.

Comment

Awesome report Brad! Last time I caught a Wahoo it took me 45 minutes to get him in the boat. You guys are troopers for slamming all those in the first hour! Awesome eating too!! Glad you guys had a good trip!
                    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Great report! Love that area for Redfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Them some big Hoo's ! Nice report and sounds like it was a fantastic trip.
                        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Badass!! Way to go on the box full of pelagics. Did you guys get any makos to jump?

Comment

Originally posted by dn17 View Post
                            Did you guys get any makos to jump?
                            Never did...though you can hear the capt in the background of the video telling us to watch out when he was at the boat...dying to see that as I never have...did see a tuna hit that lure and sky upward a good six feet or so...
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marx
                              How many folks and does that include lodging ?
                              Paul...there were six of us. We did lodging separate as we wanted to try a new place...liked it BUT it was pricey in my opinion. You can stay at the marina in some trailers they own for next to nothing. Bring a grill if you do that though as they are not provided if memory serves. They also have a cafe there that serves up goo cajun food...also can cook your catch obviously...we all like to cook so we did all the grocery shopping here to save a couple of shillings...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X