Fish Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Soup

IMHAMMER's lovely bride found me a recipe for Fish Soup/Porridge and tonight I tried it out. This stuff is awesome! If you like chicken and rice and you like asian cooking you will love it.

Scott
    Scott
    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Originally posted by gsb View Post
    IMHAMMER's lovely bride found me a recipe for Fish Soup/Porridge and tonight I tried it out. This stuff is awesome! If you like chicken and rice and you like asian cooking you will love it.

Scott
    Well wheres the recipe or do we have to come over for a taste test? Mabe a pic so we can a least drool over it!! LOL
    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

recipe

Here it is fellas. My wife took the leftovers to work today and the whole gang loved it too. I hope to hear your opinions. ! I used fillets instead of a whole fish because that’s all I had. I also messed up and cooked the rice before adding it to the stock but it still turned out great.

Chao Ca Vietnamese Fish Porridge

Yield: 6 servings
      Ingredients:

1 cup jasmine long grain rice, rinsed and drained
      1.5 liters or 6 cups of water
      1.5 lb whole firm white fish such as snapper, stripe bass, cod, gutted and cleaned (or 4 fillets)
      1.5 ts kosher salt
      2 large knob of peeled ginger divided: 1 sliced in chunks and crushed, the remainder thinly julienned
      3 shallots (2 whole and 1 sliced thin)
      3 cloves of minced garlic
      1 medium onion peeled and quartered
      2 tbs olive oil
      quality fish sauce (such as Red Boat)
      1/2 cup chopped green onion and cilatro
      fried shallots
      fresh cracked pepper
      bean sprouts (optional)
      Directions:

Wash rice, drain in strainer or small holed collander, and set aside to dry.
      In stock pot, bring to boil the whole fish (or fillets), crushed ginger, whole shallots, onions along with 1.5 ts of salt. Boil about 5-8 minutes, or until the flesh is cooked. Carefully remove the fish and allow to cool. Reduce heat to medium low.
      Meanwhile, in nonstick pan with heat on low, heat the olive oil and thinly sliced shallots along with the rice until its color becomes opaque and just slightly browned. Add the browned rice and shallots to the broth and continue to cook under medium heat, stirring occasionally.
      Peel away the flesh of the fish and return the head, bones, and tail to the stock. Break up the flesh in chunks and season with a few dashes of fish sauce and pepper. Heat up another 1 tablespoon olive oil in same nonstick pan used to brown the rice and add minced garlic. When fragrant, quickly saute the fish chunks for a few minutes and season to taste.
      By now, the rice should bloom and look like porridge. We enjoy a thick but not too thick porridge. You can add more water to thin it out if you like. Remove the remainder of the fish as well as ginger, onions, and shallots. Return the sauteed fish to the porridge and season to taste with salt or fish sauce.
      Serve in soup bowls and garnish with green onions/cilantro, fried shallots, julienned ginger, and fresh cracked pepper. Top with fresh bean sprouts and enjoy!
      Scott
      "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Sounds good, I'll have to give it a try.
        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
          ...the fish sauce you use...can I use (Nước Mắm ) the same? I get mine down in San Leon from some friends and it's some good "shizz" to say the least!

That will work fine. :P Thank you for the correct spelling and accent marks
          Resident Ninja

Comment

Working...
          X