5/15 West Bay Yak Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/15 West Bay Yak Report

It was a little windy, but the water was a good color when Josh (My Son), Milkjug and I took to the water. Josh and I got there a little earlier than MJ so he didn't get to see my big fish. Josh and I had paddled out to the spot we wanted to set up our first drift. I got my drift sock out, put a strawberry gulp jerk shad on and made my first cast. On the second bounce something hammered my gulp and I set the hook. Then it was like I was hung on the bottom. I was a bit confused, sometimes when I'm not 100% sure if it is a bite or not I'll set the hook on a hang-up. This time however I was 300% sure I'd set the hook on a fish, but it sure felt like I was hung on the bottom and I started pulling my yak towards what ever it was I was hung on. When I got close I pulled up hard to see if I could get it to come loose and my hang-up started taking line. The fight was on and I thought it as was the flounder I’d been looking for. After fighting the fish for about five minutes I was disappointed, as what I thought was my prize flounder turned into a big ray. The ray was two to two and a half feet between wing tips. Needless to say I just cut the line and re-rigged. It could have been worse, at least I got a good pull and my heart got a good workout for a shot time.

Josh and I continued to fish with the croakers hammering our gulps. Every cast there would be at least two or more of their pecking bites. Josh was able to finally fool a nice flounder, but it got off right before he could net it. He stayed on them and a few minutes later had a 17 inch flounder in the net. Me, all I had to show other than the ray was a world class croaker that I’d caught. Nothing much happened until MJ came paddling up to us. We chatted for a few minutes then went back to fishing. I hooked up with a nice 18 inch trout and MJ followed with a keeper of his own. I missed one and lost one, then nothing so we all went our own ways in search of fish. During this time, Josh added a 20 inch trout, MJ got a flounder that pushed 18 inches and I got a red that was very close to 20. I didn’t measure the red as I didn’t plan on keeping him. As with all good things the day had to end, with the sun setting over WestBay. We didn’t kill the fish, but we had all caught some and had a good time. All of Josh and my fish came on the Firetiger Jerk Shads worked slow on the bottom, and MJ was tossing live shrimp. I didn’t take a lot of pictures but here is one of my red, and another of the sunset. The rest of our fish is in the cooler for cleaning this morning, as it was way late and we were way tired. So when I get ready to clean them in a little while I’ll get a picture or two to post up.
    Attached Files
    Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Here is the pic of the rest of Josh and my fish.
    Attached Files
    Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Thanks for the report. Those big rays act a lot like flounder, almost as if you are snagged on the bottom. I hate catching rays, but yall got a few good fish on the stringer. Thanks again.

M.M.
      "For those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."

Semper Fi!

Comment

Way to grind it out guys! Sounds like a good time.
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice report, solid day on the water!
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Very nice, thanks for the report. Looks like a great time to me.

AQUA PIMP
            AQUA PIMP......
            "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Way to go Josh
              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Thanks for the report and sharing the pics.
                "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
                  Way to go Josh
                  I taught him too well, it is a rare day that I out fish him anymore.

Comment

Yeah, he did good. They say the acorn never falls far from the tree That was a fun trip.

Comment

Real nice report-very good detail and info. Thanks BH!!
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks for he report. Sounds like a nice trip!
                        Joe

Comment

Working...
                        X