Lowrance HDS-5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrance HDS-5

Anyone have experience with the HDS-5 by Lowrance? thinking of installing one. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Fishwhisperer

I talked to Angler Products at the fishing show yesterday about them and they sound pretty nice and If I remember right you can get them with a google earth feature which would be pretty cool.
    A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

I've had the HDS-7 for a few months now, I like the unit but the Navionics Platinum + charts are very outdated. I installed the unit myself took maybe two hours working at the boat storage, may have been faster at the house with more tools and hardware.

The unit has been good so far including heavy rain, some of the first units had a leaking problem a few years ago.
      "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Don't leave any Lowrance product in the heat too long (like a radio box), they will cook. I have had 3 units break. One cooked and would not "load" and 2 others the gps module quit working. Also, make sure you spray the plugs/connectors with some armor all-the cheap plastic dry rots and falls apart on the plugs (3 times that has happened). Otherwise I like them. very user friendly, but are temperature sensitive and plugs dry rot.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Robalo,

Thanks for the tips, I be sure and spray the plugs and hope it will helps it last longer.

Thanks again !
          "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Thanks for the tips!
            Fishwhisperer

Comment

Just put one on my new boat with the LSS-1 side scan (has $300 rebate going on), it is awsome. Also hooked up my Etec 130 to the HDS-5, way cool, get all my engine displays on the HDS-5. The base map that comes with the unit in not as good as Garmin may upgrade to Navionics Gold, don't think the Platinum is worth it. If you are strictly looking for GPS go Garmin otherwise the Lowrance is the way to go.

FYI: Since I added the LSS-1 I bought the HDS-5 without the sonar transducer (about $100 cheaper).
              Last edited by Lori77563; March 23, 2012, 07:45 AM.
              -----------------------
              .~~~~ ~~~~~~~ www.saltwaterhooker.net

Comment

Ended-up getting a HDS-7. It was worth the difference. Very clear and easy to use. Evans Marine installed it very well. Bryan also installed a power pole 2 and a three step ladder. All done very well for a good price.
                Fishwhisperer

Comment

So how do you llike the 7?? I have the HDS5 with Navvionics Gold and it has been a pretty good unit. Not as user friendly as others but has allot of features. Mine will note take coordinates sometimes when i load them. Thinking about moving it to the bow and adding a garmin to the console.
                  Team Tres Compadres
                  Chris H.

"Clear Skies and Tight Lines"

Comment

My HDS-7 is in the mail on the way. I can't wait to get it, but I'm sure it will take some time to figure out. Would you say the Navvionics Gold is the best SD card for the $$. I have not picked a card up yet, but I've read they are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Hern5972 View Post
                      So how do you llike the 7?? I have the HDS5 with Navvionics Gold and it has been a pretty good unit. Not as user friendly as others but has allot of features. Mine will note take coordinates sometimes when i load them. Thinking about moving it to the bow and adding a garmin to the console.
                      Add anything but a Garmin! I have so many customers that have problems with Garmins you wouldn't believe.
                      Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                      (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                      4340 19th St.
                      Bacliff, Texas 77518
                      http://evansmarine.net
                      http://boatwerxtx.com
                      main@boatwerxtx.com
                      281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Take the book to the thrown nd read the hell out of it. your going to need it. I like the gold card i put in mine. The platinum is a little better but heck this one tells me allot of where i fish. I think i paid 199 for mine... i say it is pretty good for the dollars spent
                        Team Tres Compadres
                        Chris H.

"Clear Skies and Tight Lines"

Comment

I like the 7 but wonder where the "highway" to get back from offshore is. I put in Freeport 10 miles out and was expecting to see a highway like my Garmin used to give me.... Maybe I don't know how to use it. I left the manual at Evans......
                          Fishwhisperer

Comment

The $200. Navionics Gulf Coast chip sucks! A complete rip-off. Has this cheesy Google-like 3-D map BS. I'd rather have a 2-D accurate chart. The charts and info are at least 10 years old. It still lists Teakwood marina....
                            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                            X