Ne winds?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ne winds?!?

can anyone break down what the different wind directions mean in terms of fishing and water conditions?!?!?! going out tomorrow, but with the wind i dont know if we should hit the beachfront, seawolf park or one of the jetties........

If you making a decision between beachfront, seawolf park or jetties, the NE wind is bad for all three unless seawolf park has a nice cove you can find to get away from the wind.

The stronger the wind, the rougher the water, which means the water will get dirty and it is harder to find bait, which means fish.

We like SE winds between 5-10 MPH in West Bay fishing for trouts and reds.

If you like surf fishing from the beach we like north winds around 5-10MPH, because south winds bring big waves, which means dirty water and not fun to surf fish in.

I hope this helps some, but I know more experienced people will give their 2 cents.
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Do you have a boat? On a NE wind my favorite place to fish is Jones Lake. As a generally rule you can throw any color there you want as long as it is chartruse.
      Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

NE winds SUCK. It turns the entire bay to chocolate milk!
        You can fish the protected coves and if you have a good incoming tide the water may green up at the pass. The water looked great in Christmas and Cold Pass today, but we couldn't find any fish.
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

no boat. looking for a place where we can fish from a structure: pier, groings etc. im bringing my girl for the first time and want her to catch SOMETHING! trout would be great but whiting, croaker (TRASH) would be ok too.

Comment

Walk in at the pass. There is always something there.
            Rock groins along the seawall if the wind comes down.
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

You can fish the wall next to the ship at seawolf. That is a great place to go in the winter also when there is a coldfront and the wind is blowing hard that little corner is nice. Depending on how strong the winds get the beachfront would not be a bad option either, just fish from the rock groins.

Comment

NE wind in G-town = Yoohoo! water i.e. SE wind is always best. However, don't be discouraged...you just have to work a little harder on a NE wind.

Be aware of the bait activity (if there is any), and work your plan according to the bait movement. Follow the bait! Fish protected areas (coves and land protected areas), and set yourself up to cast with the wind (although some of my best fish have been caught throwing into it). IMO, I would opt not to fish the surf - it is gonna be rough. Out of the options that you listed, I would fish Seawolf Park.

Now with that said, I would go pick up a Hook-N-Line map of the Galveston Bay area and locate a trout hole accessible by land. There are a lot of great wade spots on the map, and you can access a few of them by vehicle/foot. I think that you will find better options than the ones listed. Just look for a spot that is land protected, and grind it out until you and your girl get on the fish! Good luck fishing!
                Capt. Jen Green

Comment

NE today, but found some fish up tight. Slicks going off every where and managed to pull, and get a big pull, from a few.

Plus whats in the picture, we also caught a few rat reds, 1 smaller flounder, and 5 trout in the 16" range. Not a bad day, and the surf from Jamacia to the water tower has got the color if the wind would just lay....it'd be on! Still to rough to fish IMHO. The trout next to the flatty weighed in a respectable 3.5 on the boga just to give an idea of the size. No TW bite today, all came on either Pimp purple or margarita.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by FlatoutFishin; May 20, 2009, 02:17 PM.
                  Don't be a Nancy!
                  If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

FOF, if you didnt fish that area, you wouldnt have to deal with those jacks....
                      Nice trout though..
                      And that is the place to catch trout this time of year.
                      "Anything worth doing is worth doing right"

Comment

Originally posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
                        NE today, but found some fish up tight. Slicks going off every where and managed to pull, and get a big pull, from a few.

Plus whats in the picture, we also caught a few rat reds, 1 smaller flounder, and 5 trout in the 16" range. Not a bad day, and the surf from Jamacia to the water tower has got the color if the wind would just lay....it'd be on! Still to rough to fish IMHO. The trout next to the flatty weighed in a respectable 3.5 on the boga just to give an idea of the size. No TW bite today, all came on either Pimp purple or margarita.
                        Is that your new Laguna that landed that Jetty Tuna? Very impressive for a bay rod! How long was the fight?
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                          Is that your new Laguna that landed that Jetty Tuna? Very impressive for a bay rod! How long was the fight?
                          Yep...that was my new extreme by Laguna.

Actually the fight wasn't that long....once he saw who he was doing battle with, he just rolled and gave up.

Okay...20 minutes or so and got lucky on the net.
                          Don't be a Nancy!
                          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                          X