Reel gear ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel gear ratio

What gear ratio do you use and for what baits? I have seen 5.4, 6.4, and 7.1 and am not sure what I even have. What baits are they each designed for? Has anyone used the twitch bar on some of these reels? I am using a couple of old Browning reels but can't remember what model or gear ratio and was looking for some new reels when the 3 different gear ratios came up.

A great question. I know each of the gear ratios have their various qualities. Would like to hear people's take on this.
    Resident Ninja

Comment

I have from the older Ambassador reels to one new dawia that has the 7.1 ratio. For me using the reels in the mid range from 5.4 to 6 seem to be just about the right speed for plastics. 7.1 seems to fast no matter how slow I reel. Just depends how your fishing that day and what bait as to the speed. Live bait or cut bait the speed of reel doesn't to be fast. Sometimes you really have to go at break neck speed to entice a hit.

Comment

I have a twitch bar on one of my reels I use for decoration hah. Sounds like a good idea but really isnt that useful, atleast in my opinion. I dont get into ratios much. I just go with a 6.4 because its in the middle. I know a guy that has the curado with a 3.8 gear ratio. I believe it is the CU200B38 in which he uses for cold water fishing.
        From what I have heard from the fellow that does the work on my reels you can actually change the gear ratio or atleast take it to someone who knows how and have them do it. I dont know what that process involves but he has mentioned it on a few occasions.
        Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

Anywhere between 6-7 is good.

Comment

I never paid that much attention to it. I figured if the ratio was lower I just need to crank it faster (or it that slower?)!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
              ....surprised no one ever thinks these days of simply tying on a casting practice plug. Find some open area and cast away. As you are reeling in that piece of rubber no matter what the ratio of the reel you own you can adjust your retrieve to make the type of bait that you are pitching work best as far as presentation goes.

Practice plugs are where its at! I will stand on my porch and pitch to trees like im bass fishing. The catching aint so good and I get some funny looks but hey! its better than nothing.
              Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
                ....surprised no one ever thinks these days of simply tying on a casting practice plug. Find some open area and cast away. As you are reeling in that piece of rubber no matter what the ratio of the reel you own you can adjust your retrieve to make the type of bait that you are pitching work best as far as presentation goes.

Funny you shold mention that. I was doing it this evening!

Comment

I need the practice since I don't get to fish enough. Now my neightbors trees look like christmas with all the little yellow plugs hanging from them! LOL!

Comment

Have a few in my trees. Made mistake one day not thinking and wanted to practice and check speed on new reel, made a cast and caught a cat. Forgot I had a superspook jr tied on, Cats love to attack them I found out LOL

Comment

Originally posted by txkngfish View Post
                      Have a few in my trees. Made mistake one day not thinking and wanted to practice and check speed on new reel, made a cast and caught a cat. Forgot I had a superspook jr tied on, Cats love to attack them I found out LOL
                      Coachlaw will make ya a "catfish courtbuillion"! Between the turtle and the cat, Coachlaw is thinking he's almost back in Loueezzeeanna about to have a feast.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the gear ratio of the reel is the distance the lure travels on the retreive per spool revolution. The lower the ratio (5:1) the less and slower the lure moves in distance on the retreive. I always liked those reels as I like keeping the bait in front of the fish for as long as possible, hence more probability of a bite. If that reel was a black bantam 5:1 I'll give you your money back Cat if you don't want it.

Comment

Go hang you another jack with it and see how it holds up. If you land him, grind his nasty *** up with some corn meal and put it in some small marble sacks. Attach some crab line to the sacks and a sinker and set them out in the D.C. Three days later take your cast net and load up on some shrimp. Old Indian trick. Don't let the Game Warden see you.

Comment

The gear ratio also has a lot to do with what lure you're throwing and what conditions you're in. If you're fishing shallows with a heavier/larger lure you might want something with a quicker retrieve i.e. higher gear ratio. That way you don't drag on the bottom when retrieving. In that scenario the opposite is true for a lighter/smaller lure.

Bass guys like the faster retrieve for crank baits and rattle traps. Pulls them through the water faster, creating more noise.

If you have the chance to buy a low gear ratio reel I would try it out with a lighter lure to see how you like it. I personally have lower gear ratios on some of my reels and tend to catch more. That is probably because I tend to reel in too fast.

Comment

Got any 5:1 ratio's for sell? I haven't seen one in years. Got an old Fenwick Gulf Coast Seahawk I'd like to mate it up with.

Comment

Working...
                              X