Getting started - Spearguns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting started - Spearguns

A couple of you have expressed interest in getting started spearfishing. Here's what you will need for underwater hunting.

-Speargun: You want a full-sized long speargun. Band stretch=power and range so don't skimp on a short gun "just to see if you like the sport". JBL makes good quality guns for good prices, and they've taken many fish in the gulf.

Here is the manufacturer's website and description. You can also check out dive shops if you want to keep your business local. The prices won't be as good, and the selection is normally very limited, but most will order you something if you know what you want. I would recommend the XHD line as they are a bit beefier than the others.
    Spearguns, polespears, and dive gear for beginners, professionals, and everyone in between. For over 50 years JBL has been focused on one thing: making the best spearfishing equipment. Born and built in California. Made by people that love to dive and put food on the table the old fashioned way. Scuba and freedive.

Here is a distributor that I've found has some of the best prices, and is good for customer service. This gun would be a great choice and not break the bank.

If you want to get serious with guns, I love my Riffe MT4 speargun, but it's about twice the price so I figure ya'll wouldn't be too interested. Check it out though, they are some seriously sweet guns.

-Spare Shaft: A large fish can torque your shaft and bend it, this is more of a concern when hunting under rigs, when a fish can wrap around a piling. You are spending all that money and time to get out there, so carry a spare shaft so you won't be out of comission if that happens.

-Extra tip: If you lose the whole shaft, that extra shaft won't work so well without a speartip. The "slip tips" are the best for big fish, and rig hunting so get one of those, and use the tip that came with the speargun as your spare.

-That about covers you for spearguns. You will want to re-rig the gun when they send it to you. SS cable for hunting around rigs and 400lb mono for hunting open water. You will need crimps too, and a crimper. You can get most of this stuff locally so I won't look for it online. Get with me if/when you get a gun and I can give advice for rigging.

I'll post up on the other accessories you need later on.

Fish not biting? Try spring steel, fast presentation

Great info, Ebay also has some good deals, not so good ones as well, but worth checking out.

Comment

Just placed my order
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Many of your local dive shops will match Leisure Pro prices, then you support your local dive shop and have a place that will warranty your gun.

Getting started a JBL Gulf Magnum may be all you ever need, but you will need to Gulf rig it. I rig guns as a hobby and could help out during this off season if interested.

Comment

Yeah, I would rather support a local dive shop. Problem is all the ones I talked to, most don't even cater to spearfishermen. The one that did, I was trying to buy a knife and he tries to sell me some $200 BS knife with shears attached... Knifes are next to disposable and I ain't taking one worth 2 bills out when some fish is probably going to knock it out of my hand.

There are a lot of good dive shops in areas with more spearos that will ship you things too, and bargain with prices. Shipping, but no tax so it comes out about the same.

Comment

Have you been to Maximum Scuba in Seabrook? They're pretty much a spearo shop with a little bit of dive gear, hosted about 6 or 7 tournaments this past year. HydroSports Scuba in Lake Jackson, the whole Cryer family (the owners) are deadly with the steel, hold numerous state records spearing on scuba, Michelle spears freediving, and they are on a first name basis with the Riffe's. Lots of hidden talent right here local. Keith Love runs trips every weekend for Max Scuba, he won King Spearo at The Helldiver's Rodeo this year and I've personally seen his boat come in with 2 Amberjack in the same trip that were 110+ and bigger than the current state record at the time!

Comment

No, but I will check those places out. Good to hear there is a strong spearfishing community around.

Comment

Originally posted by ScubaRu View Post
                  Have you been to Maximum Scuba in Seabrook? They're pretty much a spearo shop with a little bit of dive gear, hosted about 6 or 7 tournaments this past year. HydroSports Scuba in Lake Jackson, the whole Cryer family (the owners) are deadly with the steel, hold numerous state records spearing on scuba, Michelle spears freediving, and they are on a first name basis with the Riffe's. Lots of hidden talent right here local. Keith Love runs trips every weekend for Max Scuba, he won King Spearo at The Helldiver's Rodeo this year and I've personally seen his boat come in with 2 Amberjack in the same trip that were 110+ and bigger than the current state record at the time!
                  I've seen that photo... if its the one I'm thinking of with two guys side by side?

Comment

Hey board,

In response to the original post, my name is Adam and I am the online Leisure Pro guru. If you have any questions or comments related to our site, merchandise or anything else feel free to contact me personally.

Safe diving,
                    Adam
                    Adam Waddell
                    Leisure Pro Customer Service Ambassador
                    adamw@leisurepro.com
                    www.leisurepro.com

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                      I've seen that photo... if its the one I'm thinking of with two guys side by side?
                      Thats the one.

Comment

Originally posted by adambayam View Post
                        Hey board,

In response to the original post, my name is Adam and I am the online Leisure Pro guru. If you have any questions or comments related to our site, merchandise or anything else feel free to contact me personally.

Safe diving,
                        Adam
                        Yell Heah, thats pretty awesome right there!

Comment

Thanks for the gracious welcome!

Adam
                          Adam Waddell
                          Leisure Pro Customer Service Ambassador
                          adamw@leisurepro.com
                          www.leisurepro.com

Comment

Adam has been pointing me in right direction on getting my spear gun rigged up correctly etc... One question I did have what is the best float / shock line to have or get for Wahoo or Kings... I'm not going to be a great shot right of the bat so need something that can hold up fine in open water over a reef or near the legs of the platforms we all frequent during the summer.

Comment

I would just get yourself a standard float line. A bungee line is too prone to cutting on rig legs or reef. Your gun will likely have a small bungee right where the cable attatches to the gun anyways. I have a Riffe brand float line and it is good quality and doesn't tangle easily Bungee is still better for strong fish in open water though.

Make sure it is at least 1.5x the depth that you will be diving. If it is too short, it will pull tight too early and limit your diving.

Coe, on the first day that is good to go out this season, we should get out to clear water and spend a little bit of time practicing shots on a fish dummy target. You will get the feel for it really quick, and it's not like most spearfishing shots are long range. It is also good for getting the rythm of reloading down, which can be quite an affair underwater if you're not used to the gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X