Insectories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insectories

This is very important for the organic gardener.

An insectory is a garden specifically to attract insects, that in turn brings in the reptiles, and birds. What you are going to need for a good insectory is layered plants I put my insectories up against the fence and have my taller plants up against the fence and then my mid height plants, then short, and then my ground cover.

Every plant that you use for your insectory needs to be a blooming plant. I use herbs as my ground cover because if you let them go to seed they produce blooms. In a good insectory you will want plants that bloom through the seasons. All this means is get plants that are perennials and bloom at least once each year.

The best way to choose these plants are to go to your nursery or chain store and see what is blooming during each season and implement this in to your insectory as the year progresses. So if you start now you will have a perfect insectory by the end of the year. But make sure that when you select these plants they are perennials other wise you will have to replant every year.

This is also where I put my bird baths.
    Son of the Republic
Working...
X