Wood vs Composit (fiberglass)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood vs Composit (fiberglass)

I am looking at a 2001 Fishmaster by Travis Boating and have a few questions:
    -- the boat appears to be all composite with no wood, I am thinking there are pros and cons to each but i would like the overall consensus which is more durable?
    -- do composite or all fiberglass boats feel "flimsy" or not as solid in rough water or while moving about the boat?
    -- anyone know about the Fishmaster model in terms of quality? I know it is not a brand but rather manufactured by Polan (i believe) during this time but now manufactured by Kenner...

Any advice, tips or warnings is greatly appreciated!

Wood rots-I just spent $4000 on the transom of my old Robalo. Composite doesn't rot and is the way to go. As far as Fishamster-seen a few, but don't know much about them. Most boats are composite nowadays (except the big boats).
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Mike,
      I'm with Robolo and go for boats with no wood. My first boat had a wood transome and that didn't end well, lol. As for the non wood variety, they are plenty strong and weigh less. Often times this means more fuel effeciency and faster to plane. As for durability, my last boat was a 1998 1900 Stratus DV. She had a deep V on her and about a 15degree deadrise, 85 gallon tank and 150 oceanrunner. If you ever saw a center console boat out past the surf line launching 4 to 5 feet out the water... er ummm that was me, lol. I was just running to my next fishing ground and enjoyed launching off a wave or two every now and then. That boat was very tough and I'd take it offshore or out in places where I know it was calm to fish and maybe a rough ride to get there. She took it well and half my fun was in the ride on that boat. Throttle back when out the water, throttle in as you re-enter the water... Yeaaa extreme, but you asked about durability. She never felt flimsy or developed shakes or rattles and I was not nice to her in waves.

I have turned down good deals on boats when I looked into the holds and saw not only wood, but wood that looked unfinished in some cases. Do your own research, continue asking, it will be your baby and you need to be happy with it. For me I vote no wood.

Joe

Comment

Thanks guys! I kind of figured there are probably pros and cons to each...most notable to me was the wood rot!!! I think composite repairs would be significantly cheaper than composite although i guess that depends on the damage!

I am still doing research on the brand and have figured out that Fish Master is actually a model that was sold by Travis Marine (not so good feedback on this dealer) but the boat is a Polar or Dynasty...both of which seem solid enough....

Again, thanks guys...new to the forum but look forward to sharing some great fishing reports similar to the ones i have been reading all week!!!

Comment

mikerice - i would first sell your house and your motorcycle and then move down league city way...and make sure that boat has high gunwales and can fit at least 5 people!!

Comment

Composite actually means it's a sandwich of materials. That can mean fiberglass/foam or fiberglass/wood.
            Obviously if they say "no wood" then that's fiberglass/foam.
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Foam filled fiberglass boats typically dont sink either, even if 100% full of water. Yet another nice thing in case the worst happens.

I have a foam filled HydraSport that isn't supposed to sink, as it has a foam filled fiberglass hull.

Comment

Originally posted by tholmes3 View Post
                Foam filled fiberglass boats typically dont sink either, even if 100% full of water. Yet another nice thing in case the worst happens.

I have a foam filled HydraSport that isn't supposed to sink, as it has a foam filled fiberglass hull.
                I had a 1991 Hydra-Sport that was Kevlar.
                I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Ever test out its bullet retardation?

Comment

Rice.. with the amount of empty beer cans and maker bottles you have in your house... you can glue them all together and make yourself a nice aluminum hull.. no need for wood or composite. plus every trip you go on you can add to the size of your boat.. you'll have a yacht in notime.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X