Cleaning Redfish help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Redfish help

Whats the best way to clean a Redfish to cook the on the half-shell?

Last weekend we caught more reds than I have in the past 10 years. I was using an electric filet knife to clean them and it was a chore. I would make a cut right behind the side fin, then go down the top of its back towards the tail. After that I would go back to my 1st cut and go all the way down it's back bone out the tail. It worked ok but I seemed to leave a lot of meat behind.

I would consider myself pretty good with a filet knife so I didnt know if there was an easier way to clean them or would a regular hand-held filet knife work better to get close to the bone. Any tricks or suggestions would really be appreciated!

I use a regular fillet knife on my reds. I sure as hell don't do them very quickly, but I'm pretty throughout.

I do my reds the same way I do sheephead. Basically, first do the cut just behind the pectoral fin down to the spine. Then cut into the seams by the fins (dorsal fin on top, and anal fin on bottom) to avoid too much scale-cutting. Scrape the knife as close to the backbone as you can, and down to the spine. Connect top and bottom cuts, also cut as much around the ribs as you can. Get your had and pop off the ribs to avoid cutting them. Remove the ribs and pin bones just above. On reds and black drum, they have a lot of good meat in the throats. Cut the narrow fleshy bit right behind where the gills come together, then bend it back and rip it off. Goes great on the grill too.

This is the tutorial that shows sheephead filleting. The dude did a really good job explaining. Same basic thing with the reds.

He finishes it here, but you wouldn't need to do most of it for reds

Comment

It may depend on the type of electric knife you have. There are a lot of really ****** ones out there. But they way you are doing it is pretty much the best method. There is always some meat left behind with filleting, but its by far the easiest way to clean and cook 'em. Send a PM to blackbeard, he has a lot of experience with most of the brands of electric knives.

Comment

Reds are tough on the electric fillet knives. Sounds like you're doing it right, just tough fish to clean with those rib cages and big scales. My mister twister cuts em ok, but bogs down some also. Those blue and white ones and those battery ones are worthless IMO.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I like to clean my Reds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YoJmKyzQk

Comment

Thanks for the help, I think I need more practice which means I need to catch more reds.

Comment

your method sounds good but I never use electric fillet knives cause they do leave meat behind and ou don't have as much control and feel of where you're cutting. With a fillet knife on any fish I usuallyrun my knife down the spine on both sides before taking one side off. This ensures I'm not trying to make a straqight line when the fish is not in a normal position. I make the one side half way down, flip it and then do the other all the way and take the fillet off. Then when I flip it i've already made filleting that side easier. Works especially well for fatter fish. Also for reds, I take the tip and poke it in between the top scale and the top fin, work the knife all the way down to break the skin and then make my first swipe down towards the backbone. Once at the backbone remember the spine is a pretty good size so angle the knife down the slope on the other side of the spine and then out. By the beginning, and making the slope I save a lot of meat.

Joe

Comment

Working...
              X