Need Mercruiser Mechanic...Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Mercruiser Mechanic...Starter

The starter has gone out on my 1996 7.4L Mercruiser Bravo Three in my 24' Maxum. I'm looking for a mobile marine mechanic to come remove and replace it at my house.

Does anyone here know of such a person/service. Established Professionals only please.

Thanks!
    "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Should be pretty simple to replace a starter your self-the only difference I found between a "marine" starter and a automobile starter was that the marine starter was coated-it also cost almost twice as much. When I had a mercruiser, I bought the car starter and it worked just fine. My $.02.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
      Should be pretty simple to replace a starter your self-the only difference I found between a "marine" starter and a automobile starter was that the marine starter was coated-it also cost almost twice as much. When I had a mercruiser, I bought the car starter and it worked just fine. My $.02.
      If the bottom of the boat had an access hatch you might be able to compare it to a car. Replacing it isn't the problem. Getting to the bolts is the problem. I picked up a swivel socket set this morning and a 3/8" impact gun. Hopefully that will do the trick.

BTW - You should NEVER use an automotive starter, alternator, or ignition/distributor in an enclosed engine compartment on a boat. Marine electrics are spark proof to reduce the risk of igniting gas fumes. -BOOM-

Thanks

Comment

You are correct FishNett, they are intrensically protected from sparks to keep your whole thing from going boom!!!
        Last edited by Rollo; March 19, 2012, 12:28 PM. Reason: sp error
        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Gee, mine was easy to get at and I had a blower that I used-never blew up, but did freeze the motors eventually. both I had were 4 bangers-a Chevy II and a Ford 2.4(?) liter (mustang 4 cyl.).
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I know this doesn't help your situation, but I thought I'd share a Cajun Vignette.

As my dad once again wiped his sweaty brow with his greasy and torn sleeve, he walked over to the steps where I had been watching him and drinking from his steel canned Dixie beer. He made a lot of noise as he sat down next to me. I called them, "Old Man Noises." He made a lot of them all that week. Every day he had come home from work and gotten down to business on the old Pampano. She was a beautiful 22 foot Scotty Craft. Dad kept saying she was a great boat, but she had, "The Curse". I didn't know what that was, but I loved to watch Dad work on the Pampano. I was in charge of bringing him Dixie whenever he asked for it. I look back now and I wonder what people might think of all the beer I drank at the ripe age of 6 years old.

Anyway, as Dad sat there, he offered some words of wisdom on which he seemed to put a lot of emphasis. I remember them to this very day, and I have never strayed from it since. He said, "Sandy, don't ever buy a boat with a Mercruiser." I didn't know what a Mercruiser was at the time, but the poor Pampano never saw the water beneath us again. The next boat we got had an OMC outdrive.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

This thread is why I'm a outboard mechanic! They are *****, you need to be tiny and have small hands. Good luck man!
              Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
              (AKA Evans Marine Services)
              4340 19th St.
              Bacliff, Texas 77518
              http://evansmarine.net
              http://boatwerxtx.com
              main@boatwerxtx.com
              281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Nice story Coach...I'm an Inboard/outboard guy all the way. I think the outboard motor is one of the biggest scams to ever be played on mankind. Everyone I have ever had cost a small fortune to maintain/repair. I can work on V8s all day long. Yes, this particular job is a PIA, but I'll get it...one bolt is loose and the other is soaking up some WD40(it's being stubborn). I'll probably have it ready by this weekend. Gotta get in on the Black Drum action!

I did find a mobile mechanic. When I called him and described the job, he put me on 'hold' and never returned. Oh well, guess I'll save a few bucks and struggle with it myself. I'm getting too old for this s**t.

Comment

Working...
                X