Poor Man Fish Batter - Cajun Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Man Fish Batter - Cajun Recipe

Being from Louisiana i thought I'd share my Grandpa's trick for frying fish to make them a little crunchier and added a little spice. buy a bag of spicy pork rinds and crush them to a powder. Mix with your corn meal and other spices (i like garlic powder, lemon pepper, salt, and of course Tony's) and fry in hot oil. there is no pork taste but you'll find the batter to be crunchy and dry. if you don't want the heat (can't imagine why..) you could always use the regular rinds. give it a try and enjoy!

Right on bro!Sounds so good I wish I would have thought of it myself.Might even try it on anything fried,oysters,shrimp even chicken fried steak great idea!!
    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

mmmmmmmmm
      Resident Ninja

Comment

Got some fish that I may just try ot out on.
        KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Green for that trick! I'll have to give that a shot!
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I was in Pike County, Mississippi a couple years ago, the most politically progressive county in the great state, and frequented a drive-in gas grocery for a snack on the way back to La. Every place in that part of the state has a choice of fried chicken or fried catfish or link homemade sausage for your culinary pleasure. I purchased a piece of catfish and a piece of chicken to discover the best tasting food I'd had in a spell so I ask upon leaving if the cook would give me the recipe of ingredients used and she ask if I liked mustard and I said not so much and she confessed that a light coating after the seasoning was the key to the flavor before flouring or cornmealing. Don't know if anyone does this but it's the only way I fry anymore. zing!

Comment

Harvey,

I've been dipping fish in mustard then cornmeal and flour with seasoning for years. Fish taste great and the mustard once cooked makes the kitchen smell great too.
              "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Pork rind trick sound great. I dredge in hot sauce then flour/cornmeal.

Comment

Tried this on for sunday really liked it,but dont overdue the pork rinds! good food!
                  West Bay Sensai...

Comment

That sounds good but I'm a little confused... This is for a breading right? Or do you add liquid and make a batter?

Comment

I like to use masa instead of cornmeal makes for a finer crunch and is what most of the fry batters are made with.
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X