Memorial Day Weekend Slam (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Day Weekend Slam (long)

Left Houston around 12:30 on Friday, after a few stops on the way to the Island for a new VHF Antenna from Breakwater Marine & some supplies at FTU I finally got south of the Beltway. Blackbeard called and offered his assistance in picking up the waverunners which saved me from having to pick them up in TX City after I dropped my boat on the island. Thanks for lending a hand Blackbeard!

Met Beach Bum Bailey & Blackbeard over at Jamaica along with Robalo... We launched around 3 or 4 and made our way to the S. Shorline Coves and proceeded to wade a shoreline tide high was and we were struggling with the muddy bottom so we moved further West in search of more bait. About that time 007 gave me a call and said we had passed him and BountyHunter had hooked into a nice trout. We moved over and set up drifts and landed a few undersized trout and a big 22" lady fish. We ran into Majek_Maniac out there as well and he picked up Yan from Jamaica and met us back out there. They left earlier than we did as they had to go back to Fatboys. I dropped Bailey & Cody (Blackbeard) off at the launch and took the boat over to Pirates to leave in the water at the house. No fish kept but had a good time on the water & got buzzed...

So buzzed that I now how have a swollen ankle I think from fighting the lady fish running all around the boat with 2 other guys in there coolers, stereo etc. Not quite sure how I did it but its swollen up good.

Woke up early Saturday morning and was on the water at 6:30. Made my way back over where BountyHunter & 007 were the day before. First cast nice flounder was landed. Rebaited as it took my soft plastic (Gulp). 2nd cast huge blowup leader breaks (30#) snapped I guess the flounder had fraid it and I was mad for not checking it prior to recasting. By this time I was well past the fish and I motored around and restarted the drift. Did this 3-4 more times and landed 3 more nice trout. Yan called me said he'd seen me running past him I was on the fish and he wasn't so I ran over there put the Yak on the Gator-Tail and ran him over there where we landed another trout before I had to run.... I think he landed a few more trout after I dropped him near the State Park on the way back to Pirates.

Saturday was PITA not only did my ankle start hurting and tightening up but as I was cleaning the fish I stab myself, cut myself lol... It wasn't a good day... I got the fish cleaned and I was ready for breakfast and it was "Coe... fix the boat!" So without hesistation I start replacing inline fuel filters and water fuel seperator...No big deal right? Wrong! The inline fuel filter assembly cracked when I tried to remove it... 1 hour til the place closes I'm off racing to Texas Marine in Kemah to get the part I need. Get back and get it replaced, get the water fuel done get the boat up and running. I start to replace the VHF Antenna and go to my car for my knife I jump in and lean over to grab it when I hear a crunch and click under my thigh, I reach into my pocket to find my car key to my truck in two pieces!! SOB!!!! I'm now headed back to Houston at 3PM to get my spare set. Turn around come right back and am back by 5:30. It was rough needless to say and after being on my feet all day my ankle was now 3x of the other one. I went to bed early

Sunday left the dock at 7:30 after the showers rolled through caught the tail end of once but had the rain jacket on and it passed, sun came out. Went one cove East of where I had been and landed a few trout but tossed them back, more storms popped up and ankle started hurting from the rough ride over that morning, winds were coming out of WNW 10 I think so I headed back in. Spent Sunday around the house rain showers early part of the morning I saw a clearing in the radar and went out with Blackbeard on his Shoalwater

We launched from Pirates and ran East drifted a few coves between Pirates and 8 Mile Rd I scratched out a flounder and speck, Blackbeard caught a huge slimmer Tiny would have been impressed! More storms came closing in and wind just died we cruised around and scouted some areas before returning to the launch and back to house before the heavens opened up. Had dinner at the house with parents and then went back out with Blackbeard to try some of the lights in the canals. Went to the Super Secret Spot and landed a 22" Red to round out the slam it wasn't even realized until the next day though

Monte came over Sunday night and dropped off my stake out stick and push pole along with Yan's kayak stick... It worked great today my Dad and I went out and were able to land a flounder we just didn't find the bait like the other days not to mention the spot we stopped at first was a zoo... seems the secret was out!

It was a good Memorial Day Weekend thanks to all those who serve out there for allowing us this pastime we so love!
    Attached Files
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Dude!! Slow down a little bit and enjoy the ride! No need to be in a hurry! Good to see that you got to fish with your dad! I still wish that I could.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

That sounds like an adventurous weekend, but a good time with a few cold ones and fish to put in the mix. Thanks for report and good pics

Comment

Wow, I thought we had a weekend but your's take the cake. Glad y'all got some fish and that broke line was Burta's older sister Gurta, now we know why she didn't bite Sunday morning..... Really sorry you lost her, that spot seems to be holding a few solid trout for sure. Maybe we can make it back before they are gone.
        Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

That is the biggest damn wading net i have ever seen. Must be going after that STAR winning gaftop.
          "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Wow what a LONG report/Story....Thanks Coe!
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Nice read/report
              NK
              Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Oh... and yes.... That's my first official slam! I'm finally finding the flounder with my soft plastic and having a boat that I can get into skinny water with helps a lot!
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Geez Coe. Was not your best day/weekend for doing sheeit. Glad I finally got to meet ya. Thanks!! My boat was broke-so after meeting you all, I got it working and headed out to Snake and caught until the mosquitoes tore me up. Saturday I just waited until 2 to go and was rewarded with flat water and no traffic and 6 trout. Sunday eve I hit north shore again and 7 trout. Heck of a report from ya-hope that ankle is OK. Thanks!!!
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                  X