5/23 - 5/25 Offshore Heald Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/23 - 5/25 Offshore Heald Bank

Well, as most of you know, I was out Shark fishin' this weekend for the Hall of Fame Tourney. We set out about 6:am Saturday morning and headed towards the bank. (Heald Bank). We hit a couple rigs on the way out in search of bait. At the third rig we hit, we finally did something, we put a 20# jack in the boat, made another pass aroound the rig and then hooked up with our first of 6 Ling for the trip. Following that fish was another, almost a carbon copy.. We got both of them needless to say. The first one (weighed at the tourney) was 49.5#. The other was just a little shy of that.

We then headed for the bank. We found our spot, marked and set off to do a little of exploration. After a while looking around we finally set anchor (man I am still wobbley). We got our chum slick started (about 300# of discard from a local fish house) and got some kingfish lines out. We'd catch a couple kings, a couple small sharks and then a Ling or two would show up..

Then we see a high fin, pull up all our stuff and have a couple cocktails for and hour or so, in hopes the fish would leave...

Just about nightfall comes and we set out a couple shark lines. Then we get the grill out and start cooking. About 10:PM my rod goes off. I Get my harness on and prepare for battle... the fish drops the bait. After about 15 minutes I pull my bait up and ... looks like ol' high fin had a holt of it. I re-rig and sen it back. Not thirty minutes later it takes off again... this time my bait get's taken...

1:am, Timmy's rod goes off, and the fish dumps his 12/0 reel down to about 1/2 spool so we throw the anchor ball and go to chase. 1-1/2 hour later we got her to the boat. Hammerhead (High fin) We shoot her, tie her off to the boat and head back to anchor, Rig up and set the baits back out..

3:30... My rod goes off. Fish really didn't act like a big one, we saw the fish about 20 yards from the boat... I had the leader up to the boat in a matter of minutes, Timmy said. "We're gonna cut her loose, didn't look that big", so he has the klines in his back pocket..(David, the boat owner, was still asleep). Well.... Timmy leaders the fish and the next words out of his mouth are.. Ohh boy!!!" Not a small fish after all! By now the fish realizes that it's hooked and the fight is really on!

After several rounds on the boat, we finally throw the anchor ball and chase her down... then it happens.. tink We estimated the fish at about 450# with just the glance..

We believe a kingfish cut me off...

Ohhh!!! Any body ever caught a sea turtle??? How 'bout one about 200#???
    I'll have some pictures later... Now that was a battle!! No it wasn't hooked in the mouth, it was foul hooked on the front, left fin, and was released. Matter of fact he hung out for the whole trip..

Whew.. this is a long post.

So to finish a long story and make it short... I lost another Tiger Shark.. about 250#-300#

And... I caught my personal best Ling.. 52.25#... current 3rd Place in HOF.
    Timmy's HH was 515#.. current 2nd Place.

Over all Catch.
    515# Greater Hammerhead
    400-450# ??? Tiger Shark (Leadering is considered caught)
    6 Ling 45# to 52.25 #
    2 Jacks (bait)
    1 Bonito (bait)
    Too Many Kings...
    Too Many Small Sharks released...
    1 Sea Turtle.. (realsed and still swimming around)

Whew, I am sore and... Ready for next weekend!

Sounds like a heck of a time there Tiny! Glad yall were able to remain safely out there despite a few showers that popped up Sunday. Were you entered in the STAR isn't Ling a category? 52.55 might be up there?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nope... no STAR tourney for me... 70+ usually wins it anyways...

Comment

That's right... I guess I remember seeing 65LB and for a second was still asleep
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice report Tiny. I'm really looking forward to those pic's.
          I 've been really jonesing to get out there, Looks like itll be another 2 weeks now.
          Don't be a Nancy!
          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Great report Tiny. thanks and tight lines.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
            X