468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I propose an idea for a gigging tourney.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I propose an idea for a gigging tourney.

Before the new 5 bag fish limit goes into effect lets have a heaviest 10 fish limit tourney...(and we can remember it as the good old days).

If I remember correctly the 5 fish bag goes into effect mid summer so this would need to happen at least a weekend before time is up and that would be pretty soon.

How about a $25 dollar entry fee with 75% of all monies going to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and the remaining 25% to operating cost of this site and/or other administrative cost.

We could have a 2 day event period comming from a friday and a saturday nite with offcial weights being made on the following sunday to determine winners. Remember, its a 2 day event so just because you see a bunch of skinny 15 inchers the first night don't mean you have to take your limit that night because the next night you might come across several in the 20 inch range.

I don't know how to organize and this is just a fun idea that I would like to see happen.

Remember these are just proposals and if it sounds like a unethical slaughter or something else is seriously flawed then drop the whole thing.

So what do you guys think?
    Good idea
    66.67%
    No thanks
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by 2112; May 28, 2009, 11:36 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Also...how about a % of the collected monies going to the overall, single largest Flounder.
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Sounds like it could be fun, although for me that's a bit too much entry fee for me to compete with gigging boats and haul weight. I could possibly be competitive with largest fish but definently not stringer weight.

Comment

I'm not going to get up on a soap box here .... because what your proposing is legal and within the rules ..... but a tournament to promote a limit of flounder when the fish are in decline ... is IMO not right.

Just do the heaviest of 3 and a heavy fish.

I'm not against gigging, but coming on a public forum with this, will not go un-noticed by the trollers and the conservationist who want gigging banned.... not to mention TPWD.

Just my 2 cents
        FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Good point Mudskipper. I would be down for a big group gigging night and maybe a little money thrown into a pot for biggest fish

Comment

I'd suggest one day tournament heaviest single fish
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Yeh no ten fish like the skipper said 3 fish...
              10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

I'd suggest one day tournament heaviest single fish
                I'm with you on this. I got a kick out of that Memorial weekend trout pot even though I didn't come close.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddskipper View Post
                  I'm not going to get up on a soap box here .... because what your proposing is legal and within the rules ..... but a tournament to promote a limit of flounder when the fish are in decline ... is IMO not right.

It is my opinion and I mantain, the TP&W krill surveys are seriously flawed. I base this on seeing more and bigger fish for the past 3 years.

Just do the heaviest of 3 and a heavy fish.

I like the above.

I'm not against gigging, but coming on a public forum with this, will not go un-noticed by the trollers and the conservationist who want gigging banned.... not to mention TPWD.
                  Just my 2 cents
                  I did not look at this from this point and agree that it can be looked upon and used against us in a vengefull way.

OK...it was a good idea, just the wrong decade.
                  I strike to have this thread locked/removed.

Hope I did not ruffle any feathers out there, did'nt mean to.
                  Bert

Comment

You didn't ruffle any feathers, its an open discussion and it was merely an idea... There's a reason why its an open topic / discussion forum.

Comment

I still don't think it's a horrible idea, just change it up a little to where it suits everyone. I'm for sure in if it got off the ground.

Comment

I would consider it if everyone had to walk. No boats!

Comment

Ok. Maybe prizes for Grand champion, reserve and 3rd runner up. Only one fish entry per person. Entry fee down to $20 with 25% of total funds going to admin cost and the remaining 75% split 3 ways as in 40% for 1st, 25% for 2nd and 10% for 3rd.

I would suggest a night to be planned on a weekend, if possible, that is to have a half-moon or less. If winds happen to be a blow out a possible one time reschedule for the following weekend. For most areas a blow out I would consider is winds above 20 mph and we all know sometimes it happens and when it does its not doable or safe.

Nothing here is set in stone so voice any improvements.
                          Weigh in location, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                            Ok. Maybe prizes for Grand champion, reserve and 3rd runner up. Only one fish entry per person. Entry fee down to $20 with 25% of total funds going to admin cost and the remaining 75% split 3 ways as in 40% for 1st, 25% for 2nd and 10% for 3rd.

I would suggest a night to be planned on a weekend, if possible, that is to have a half-moon or less. If winds happen to be a blow out a possible one time reschedule for the following weekend. For most areas a blow out I would consider is winds above 20 mph and we all know sometimes it happens and when it does its not doable or safe.

Nothing here is set in stone so voice any improvements.
                            Weigh in location, etc.
                            We could do it on a Saturday night and have the weigh in at Block Aide Runners.
                            I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

I would do that! I could easily ferry people over from KOA camp to Blockade Runners for weigh in

Comment

Working...
                              X