ICW Hazard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICW Hazard

Took the boat out today for shakedown trip. Hit something solid about 50 or so yards east from the east end of Greens Cut, closer to the north shoreline of the Canal. Took several chunks out of the skeg, bent it, and bent/broke one of the blades of ss prop. Never saw what it was, just letting y'all know about it. Didn't catch anything, threw a bunch of stuff, no takers, seems like the wind had a lot of west in it. It was great to get out after a 3 yr. Dry spell and the boat runs great!!!

I don't have adpth finder yet, but I didn't see any mud come up and I didn't run aground. I have tunnel hull Kenner 18'...

Comment

No, running to west in the canal from Harbor Walk, just like I've done many times, closer to the north shoreline than south. There was a lot of water to the shore. It seems like there was a shallow spot in that area a looong time ago, maybe I just hit it. But that would not do the damage to my lower unit that this hit did. It was a definite bang, not a shudder, like when you are running shallow.

Comment

They just dredged all that stuff and they pushed barges up everywhere making shallow spots where there weren't any before. Probably either something they left or pushed up out of the mud. Bummer!
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Dredging sucks. Next time I'll make sure I run closer to the middle. Dredging - saw what looked like new fills in the marsh near camp on north shore. Also big lake west of greens-dryed up or filled in?North shore grass beds covered up?

Comment

Sorry about your luck.
            KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Thanks, just beware of that north shoreline east of greens.

Comment

Sounds like it may have been something like a leftover piece of dredge pipe or marker. I remember small steel buoy type maker near there after the dredge moved east towards the DC but it was still above water near the north shore west of Harbor Walk east of the entrance to Greens Lake about a 1/4 mile.

Thanks for the post.
                "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I looked at the prop really close today and there is clolor on it, kinda like rust, so it must have been sometihing metal. The distance you mention could be correct because it was east of the cut. The tide seems like it was way high today, enough to put it in the grass in Greens Lake. Maybe on a normal tide, the marker would be above water.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. Check your prop shaft, make sure it is not bent which could happen with that kind of impact.
                    Today is a new day!!

Comment

Yep, did that, thanks. And yes, it looks like there is uneven movement that shouldn't be there. Need a good prop/lower unit dr. My first mate recommended Hood Marine. I called and he does it all. Comments?

Comment

Get with Bryan at Evans Marine, he is a sponsor here.
                        Today is a new day!!

Comment

Sounds like it mite a been a pipe weight,Theyre big and heavey,and they loosem ocasionaly.Bryan Evans for the inspection&repair and Bauman props for prop repairs,Hoods ok too! Real shame is Ill probably find it next! Boat...Hole in the water to dump money in!
                          West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Thanks, all. I'll call Bryan today. Guess we were "lucky" the tide was way high, cause it could've been worse if it was a liitle lower. As in cracked hull. Well, y'all get the picture. Ditto on the boat, only these days, the hole is bigger to start with. Y'all be careful out there...But now that I think about it, that's the only thing I've hit in all my years of running boats, including running across Jones lake to go duck hunting in the dark with no spotlight, but that's another story. Tight lines.

Comment

Dang, and I thought that the ICW was one of the safe spots to run. West Bay is turning out to be much scarier than Baffin ever was!

Comment

Working...
                              X