5.31.09 Off Shore Report!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5.31.09 Off Shore Report!

Left our place in West Bay with Blackbeard & Beach Bum Bailey at gray light and headed out towards the Jetties. Met by smooth conditions in the bay and very calm seas as we passed the south jetty. Ran 25 miles off shore before stopping at a single structure rig to pitch some baits. First cast double hookup 1 king and a ling on! The king we boat quick and release as were more concerned about the ling. Beach Bum Bailey was fighting the ling and gave it a good pump and hit the t-top (guess he got excited) slacked the line and wouldn't you know the ling gets off...

We did a couple more drifts and boated 4 kings to 40" when we decided to go ahead and move further on out. We jogged on our way out to V.A. FOGG and hit every platform trying to redeem Bailey's goof at our first stop.

At our 2nd stop we dropped a few bottom rigs and hooked up with two ~20lb Red Snapper that we properly vented and sent back to the bottom to be caught probably by someone yesterday lol...

We were able to pick up a Spade Fish and a Lane Snapper at the same spot and decided to push on as it was nearing 10:30 by this point.

About the time we were getting ready to head out when the clicker on the Torsa 30 goes screaming. Line goes ripping off and I quickly motion to Bailey. He grabs the rod and I quickly realized that this is no kingfish, perhaps a Wahoo or Barracuda, maybe a Sailfish... The fish takes 1/2 the spool and we are now in hot pursuit. Unfortunately the leader and rigging fails, the 150lb clamp swivel is bent in half and the hook is nowhere to be found. Upset to say the least I'm guessing it was a Barracuda... I'd like to think it was a Wahoo or Sailfish but who knows we never saw anything. Not to have this happen again I bust out the wire leader rigs and needless to say we did not get broken off anymore after that.

Headed further out and ran across some weed lines tossed some chum but nothing biting except the seagulls.

Finally arrived at V.A. FOGG to find two other boats there on the same wreck. Like an idiot I forgot to punch in the rest of the coordinates I had downloaded that night and only managed to put 6 of the 10 or 12 coordinates they give you online... The winds picked up and seas started building we made a couple of drifts and found the wreck but it was tough keeping the boat in position and dodging the other vessels we more or less free lined some baits and had a few hookups but nothing impressive. I was kicking myself for spending too much time fishing on the way out

We started heading back and stopped at the rigs that produced fish, 3 lings we lost at our final stop solid hookups but perhaps the hook was the issue, so we changed it out to sharper J-Hook and wouldn't you know we hookup to a ling. We measure just short revive for 5 min and release her to be caught again soon.

It was a good trip for the Robalo, first time off shore this year and she performed great. One scary moment we were drifting out at V.A. FOGG when all the sudden we smell gas and see a slick around the engine... Turns out perhaps a patch floating on the surface because I removed cowling and checked and then the oil and gas smell and slick were gone...

While we were out at the wreck and were well drifted off it we decided to take a swim and were met by a porpoise. We tossed it a few sardines and it came closer. Bailey even tried to feed it by hand to no avail lol but she did get fairly close to the boat.
    Attached Files
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Good report. Maybe the Ling wisperer needs to show you how to catch 'em.

BTW.... Gamakatsu Live Bait Hooks 4/0 or maybe 6/0

Comment

Thanks for the report. Cool pics of the dolphins

Comment

Very nice dude.

Comment

Awesome pics and great report as usual Coe!
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Cool! I'll give a bunch of my live bait and drift rigs for your next trip.
            I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

great report Coe. Wish my boat would be ready soon-you and Tiny got me drooling!!

thanks!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Galveston Offshore

Sounds like a great trip. It's easy to let time slip away when you're enticing lings and catching kings. I'm familar with that run to the FOGG. I'd like to know where you left from (Pirates?) and what your fuel burn was? Did you consider making the same trip through SLP? Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra Man View Post
                  Sounds like a great trip. It's easy to let time slip away when you're enticing lings and catching kings. I'm familar with that run to the FOGG. I'd like to know where you left from (Pirates?) and what your fuel burn was? Did you consider making the same trip through SLP? Thanks for the info!
                  I'm guessing I burned 70GA, I will let you know when I fill up for sure.

Ran every bit of 140 - 160 miles total... I was ~20 miles from Pirates to end of S. Jetty that's just looking at my milage Yamaha tach...
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Great report. I love going offshore. It's a totally different realm, something not everyone gets to experience. Nice Flipper pics
                    XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

I hear the Japanese have great dolphin recipes Do you think with a detachable spear head, and a float line with a good bungie and 3 non-collapsible floats that we could get one to the boat?

Comment

MJ:

Throwback snaps and a 30-30 is all ya need for a limit of porpoise!! I hear they taste like Little Tunny-kinda purply meat.
                        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Hmm, what is this throwback snap you speak of?

Comment

Undersized snapper-when ya catch one and toss it overboard the porpoises are just waiting to gobble them up-another reason NMFS and GC sux-most throwbacks are eaten and never get a chance to grow to "legal" size cause them porpoises.

Comment

Ahh, I see. I wonder if a dolphin sinks when shot....

Comment

Working...
                              X