5/5: No feetches but good time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/5: No feetches but good time

I took my 8yo son gigging last night. I haven't been gigging since I was 12 so it was an adventure for both of us. We gigged the south shore of the far West End. We got on the water about 8p just as the sun was setting and fished until it was dark. We started gigging in earnest at 9p and stayed out til 12a.

Conditions were a bit tough. The wind stayed up through the afternoon and into the evening so there was a decent ripple on the surface. As the night went on and the tide started to come in, the water got more and more sandy. We had good visibility to 8" but it got pretty tough and go beyond that.

We stuck to the grass lines and points around drains, we saw lots of interesting stuff. I answered 2,077 questions that started with 'what's that'. We saw two rays, finger mullet, glass minnows, brown shrimp, enough blue crabs to fill two bushel baskets and a translucent marine organism that I couldn't quite identify (looked squidish).

We came home empty handed but both of us had fun. I had read quite a few reports from FWE so I'm pretty sure we were in the right place, walking at the right pace and such. Just don't think they were there.

I'd like to thank Coe for helping me with some tips on how to get started gigging. It was really fine of him to give me a hand.
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Great work! I get a big kick out of all the marine life I see, so I'm sure a child would too Just wait till you see that flattie lying right there, it is a rush!

Comment

Thanks for the report, it's nice that you find the time to spend with your kids. Thumbs up to you !
      "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Nice report and exactly what Milk Jug said. Take the kid again but pick a dead calm night and you will pop em.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
        Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

I could use those crabs....

Comment

Its a whole different perspective seeing what you are wading around during the day when on the prowl at night. Keep after it and one night you will walk 50 yrds and have a limit.

Comment

Sounds like a great father / son adventure. I can remember my dad saying to me one time "If you ask me 'why' one more time, I'm gonna..." My reply was "how come?" Kids, gotta love 'em.
              "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Originally posted by FishNette View Post
                Sounds like a great father / son adventure. I can remember my dad saying to me one time "If you ask me 'why' one more time, I'm gonna..." My reply was "how come?" Kids, gotta love 'em.
                LOL!

X2. Way to get out there JYC.
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                X