West Bay Gasoline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Bay Gasoline

howdy,, i am new to the site and new to fishing the west bay,, just got a bay boat a few months ago.. so far i have enjoyed reading the reports and appreciate the helpful insight into the west bay. nice to have a the insight from more experienced anglers...

a few questions that i could some help with...

1. was thinking of keeping the boat at the sea isle marina, easier to get out when the conditions are favorable and more importantly would save from trailering back/forth to houston. Does anyone have anything good or bad to report about keeping a boat at that marina?

2. what locations offer gasoline to the water these days? i know pirates cove no longer open and last time i was at sea isle, the sign said 'no gasoline'.. didnt know if that was temp or permanent now that the tackle shop is closed.

thanks for any help and i look forward to contributing in the future..

Sea Isle is a good place to keep your boat and as for gas, the only place I know of on the water is Habor Walk, which is a not a short trip.

Welcome to the site!
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Harborwalk & Yacht Basin are the only two places I'm aware of... Perhaps we should look into getting gas back in at Pirates Marina and just charge customers low overhead all money from the old marina was made on gas anyways...
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Marina gas is usually very high. I take four 5 gallon tanks to the station, can get about 5.5 gallons in each for about 22 gallons each trip. It's a little inconvenient, but not as inconvenient as putting her on the trailer just to get gas. Also if I ever trailer her somewhere to fish I just fill her up before I put her back in her slip.

Joe

Comment

Welcome to the site. I have heard good things about Sea Isle marina

Comment

I am not sure who to contact anymore about boat slips, but if you send a private message to JT, he can tell ya-he has his Blackjack hanging there.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

thanks for the responses,, very surprised that noone has taken the oppertunity to repair pirates cove marina and supply gas to the water for the west end,, guess that not high on the list for the recovery effort...

Comment

Be careful where you buy gas around there. I keep my boat in Sea Isle and usually do the 5 gallon jug routine, but somehow got 3-4 gallons of water in my tank. No leaks, so it came with the most recent gas purchases. I would go to the Valero or the Chevron. The gas station just west of Sea Isle on the hill, we call "Hilltop" has bad gas and never has anything in stock. My mechanic said he has had 3 similar incidents lately. Name brand gas stations have their tanks and systems inspected on a regular basis, ensuring water and contaminants don't reach your vessel/vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by tholmes3 View Post
                  Be careful where you buy gas around there. I keep my boat in Sea Isle and usually do the 5 gallon jug routine, but somehow got 3-4 gallons of water in my tank. No leaks, so it came with the most recent gas purchases. I would go to the Valero or the Chevron. The gas station just west of Sea Isle on the hill, we call "Hilltop" has bad gas and never has anything in stock. My mechanic said he has had 3 similar incidents lately. Name brand gas stations have their tanks and systems inspected on a regular basis, ensuring water and contaminants don't reach your vessel/vehicle.
                  DAMN!!!!!! I just purchased gas from Hilltop a couple of times already and did notice my engine not running as it should. Time to replace the filter and purchase gas from Chevron.
                  LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

I can't be certain that's where it is from, but can't fathom Chevron or Valero/Diamond Shamrock having repeated inspectors miss a leak or something that would allow water into their gas. I can easily see how Hilltop would....bet their tanks haven't been treated since their installation, and I would bet Ike moved some pipes and ground around there.

Comment

Maybe that's why my brother in Sea isle can't get the water outta his tank-he's drained it 3 times and keeps getting water emulsion and there aint no leaks!! thanks-I'll tell him.
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I've debated doing purity tests on the gasoline throughout the rest of the summer, at the Hilltop, Chevron, and Valero. There is a kit you can buy to test for impurities, including water. Ideally, test samples from each pump and each type of gas would be preferable. I have been using standard 87 octane gasoline, as I have been going through it pretty regularly. When in storage, I prefer the higher octane and some fuel stabilizer.

The key to the whole process is documenting which pump, and keeping ALL receipts as proof. For now, I am going to only get gas at Chevron and each time, fill a water bottle and see anything settles at the bottom.

Comment

I get my gas from Chevron for topping off or Jet Skis. Never had an issue there or Valero.

Also, in Pirates (Hummel's on FM3005 & 12 Mile) I think its called now has gas. Have yet to buy any from them as I usually run over to Harbor Walk with the big boat or do the 5GA routine... I'd suggest you all go grab a few of the motorcycle fillers... I can empty 5GA in under 30 seconds.
                          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                          X