Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Off Shore 5-18-12

Conditions were great yesterday!

We rounded the jetties and ran 55 miles out. We had some early morning misses on a stubborn bull dorado. Sharks moved in and they scattered along with the chicken we were targeting. We pulled to a rig where we jumped in for a dive.

Spearguns in hand Yan and I cruised down and both quickly shot a couple of mangroves each. During the dive we both saw a nice kingfish patrolling the perimeter. Upon returning to the surface we were greeted with that king we saw.

Cody had the fish we spotted in the cooler! He was laughing explaining how he had to fight the fish for 5-10 minutes, gaff it by himself and communicate with a work boat trying to come in that arrived while we were down.

We stayed in the area free diving before moving back into another rig structure.

We arrived at the next rig greeted by monster red snapper below the mangroves. Made sure to note the rig for next month.

We had some bird land in the water right next to us. It appeared completely exhausted & unable to get out after it landed. We rescued it.

I'm sure that bird was relieved. He rode in with us 50 miles back to Galveston. He just hung out the entire time perched on the spear gun or dock rope that was in the stern. We fed him shrimp, bread, Ozarka water.

He became our good luck charm as we landed the ling, several more mangroves and triggers after his rescue.

We ended up with 2 kings to 40lbs, 1 ling, 3 trigger fish & 8 mangrove snapper for the day.

Seas were 1' all day. Washing machine was not horrible going through and ended / started about 8-9 mi off shore.

It was a fun Friday on the water with a great crew.
    Last edited by WestEndAngler; May 19, 2012, 01:34 PM.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsiYBkkqKg8

Did better than us Coe...we had plenty of Kings on tops, a couple snaps to 15#s, a 5ft blacktip, and some of this...on light stuff it was fun! The Billystik medium weight held tough! Nice report guys!
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Sweet x2
      10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

It was good times! I'm still trying to ID our feathered friend. Not any of the kingbirds or flycatchers I have looked up, that curved yellow beak is throwing me off.

Comment

Yan we had them landing on us too...I went back 2 year when I caught a nice grouper at the same rig we were fishing Thursday...it was dang near the same day and may just 2 years ago. I had one of those lil fellas land right next to me and crawl on my hand. I'd look for Mexican birds that migrate...because by the time they get here they are plum worn out!
          Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
            It was good times! I'm still trying to ID our feathered friend. Not any of the kingbirds or flycatchers I have looked up, that curved yellow beak is throwing me off.
            http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/688...lycatcher.aspx

Closest thing I've found...what you think?
            Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Bird

I had the same type bird perch on my fishing pole then my hand.... He didn't bring me much luck.... But I didn't go further than 10 miles out...
              Fishwhisperer

Comment

Great series of pix! Looks like fun. I love the bird! New FWE Mascot perhaps?
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Wow heck yeah thats one lucky bird lol

Comment

This time of year they are thick out there...I got a pic of one on my finger damn near giving me a kiss! Been trying to find it but no luck yet!
                    Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/688...lycatcher.aspx

Closest thing I've found...what you think?
                      Monte, that pic looks like it, but when I google for images of it all the photos look different.

http://www.google.com/search?q=yello...w=1152&bih=516

I'm gonna ask some of my aquaintances that are serious birders, they take any ID they can't do personally!

Comment

Great report, nice photos. Thanks for posting.
                        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                        X