Galveston 6/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston 6/6

Went to the S. Jetty to fish the afternoon bite and the outgoing tide.

Ended up with two specks, a nice 20"er and a 16", both on a skitterwalk. Today was not my day, I lost at least another 6 good trout . I think I need to back off the drag some more, play the fish further away, and maybe keep their heads underwater like I do with flounder.

The really cool thing was watching some of the big fish that were around. On my paddle out there a ~35lb king mackerel shot out of the water not 30 feet away from me, went at least 10' in the air. Never seen anything like it! Really pretty green color on that mack too. To top that off, right at sunset, a tarpon clears the water completely just 15' in front of me. It had to have been 150lbs+, just freaking awesome! Nothing else too noteworthy. Paddling back in the dark I ended up right in a pod of horse mullet that spooked making a huge splash and having several hit the kayak. Dang near shat my pants.

Very cool trip, never seen a tarpon or kingfish jumping, much less so close to me.

It's pretty cool when you see kings do that...was standing up front on a flats boat when one did that to me...screamed like a third grader in pigtails!
    sigpic

Comment

That sounds pretty cool and i am sure that the pod of mullet jumping all around the yak was unnerving!
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Cool report JUG!
        10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
        X