Killed em 06/05-06/06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killed em 06/05-06/06

Went out by Woodys bar again with live scrimps. On 06/05 got out there by 0800 caught one nice speck in about an hour and that was it. So I figured I would check out SLP, there were a ton of people there with not that much action. So I finished off my scrimps licked my wounds and went home. By the way urinating on Jelly fish stings really works. YUUUUK and AAAAH!

Then today got out by 1100 this morning and caught about 15 keeper Specks on live shrimp. I kept and filetted 5 nice Speck's. Caught them on the third sand bar just on the left side of the big flat. I was out about 2 hours and the water was greenish, not quite chocolate and not quite Pacific blue, but a happy enough medium for me.

Ok got a quickie question. How long does it take to learn to filette without wasting 65.6783534% of the fish?

David C. L'Heureux
    ET2(SW/AW) USN RET
    100% Disabled Veteran

How long does it take to learn to filette without wasting 65.6783534% of the fish?

David,
    Sharpen your knife and practice......
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Sharpen your knife and practice......
      Agreed. At the rate you're going you'll have it down in no time.

Specks are a breeze once you get the hang of it. Like they were made as swimming packages of meat for our consumption

Comment

Pull the white air blatter out after you make your belly cut. Stay along the back bone flip the meat over and cut off the skin from the meat. Score off the ribs and discard the rest. Its not a rainbow trout. Fry that fish and your going to be really happy!

Comment

I guess I'll just have to keep catching and keepin a few to get good at it!!!!

David C. L'Heureux
          ET2(SW/AW) USN RET
          100% Disabled Veteran

Comment

I've had alot of experience cleaning fish, but specs are a little different than the fish I grew up cleaning working for a fish monger. My trick is to not cut off the entire fillet, just to cut it down to near the tail, flip it over, cut out the other fillet, then turn it back over and clean the skin side of the first fillet. The extra meat helps you carve a closer and cleaner cut to the backbone, and that equals less waste. Keep up the catchin', and I'm sure you'll be a pro in no time.

Comment

Leave 'em at my house and ya won't have to mess with cleaning 'em-just make sure to leave lotsa ice on them with your cooler!!! J/K!!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks for the report. We use to have a place on Toledo Bend and we would go up there and fill coolers full of Stripers and my dad handed me a filet knoife and said get after it. I sure did ruin a lot of fish before I got it down. So just keep at it and you will get it

Comment

Robalo thanks for the advice but I think I'd rather just keep tryin.

David C. L'Heureux
                  ET2(SW/AW) USN RET
                  100% Disabled Veteran

Comment

Working...
                  X