Lowrance HDS5 Mounting Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowrance HDS5 Mounting Bracket

Well,this is my first Lowrance product, as I've always had a Garmin fish finder/sounder combo. The Garmin screen went out after maybe seven years or so.

So I get the Lowrance and extra "Western Gulf Coast Card". The charts are Ok, but not worth the $. They are years old, definitely at least pre-Ike.

Monday evening I'm coming in from fishing and my Lowrance starts shaking (more than usual). I've had a shaking problem since it was installed. When I get in, I realize that the left bracket is broken off the base. I expected this to last a lot longer than the 5-6 months that I've had it!

To Lowrance's credit, when I called and spoke to a nice lady, she shipped me a new bracket, which I got Wednesday.

I noticed that the older Lowrance in my fishing partner's boat has thicker uprights, and a much larger angle gusset on each side. I look at the new one they sent, and it's just like the one that broke with a tiny gusset. To save a few cents on the product, they use less plastic in the base.

On the new install, I used a piece of starboard as a brace across that is screwed in on each side and the bottom.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Originally posted by Galveston340
    ....Kenny, if the new one also gives you issues I'll bet "smooth move" on here can fabricate you one.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully with the brace this will last for years.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
    X