Hog baiting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hog baiting question

So I know of a place where I've seen hog tracks and I'm interested in trying to bait some of 'em up and shoot a couple.

I was wondering if it would be good to start now, or would I be better off waiting until Winter.

Are there certain seasons that they respond better to bait? I'm guessing there is more natural food around certain times of the year, and that they would prefer to eat that then.

It's also hot as heck plus the skeeters this time of year, but some extra pork in the freezer would be nice.

im going to try to shoot one tommorow. it is a little hot but if you are prepared it is no prob. have ice with you and as soon as youi shoot it gut it, skin it on a tail gate if you have to. if by yourself bungy cords can help hold the legs for you. have a hacksaw so you can cut feet, neck pelvis so it will go in an ice chest. deer corn is all i use it works as good as anything else. therma cell will take care of the mosquitoes.(wal-mart or academy-30$)
    good luck- if i have any tommorow ill post up a pic

Comment

my buddies from port lavca tought me use a sawsa it takes two min. and u really dont lose any meat. as far as too hot never would be better at later in the day. use deer corn and get sum koolaid wet it down mix they'll come from miles
      Free advice for cold beer !

Comment

corn and vanilla gring em in!
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

half a 5 gal bucket of deer corn one container of cherry red koolaid mix, 1 can of beer, and 2 days of sittin in the sun... its a killer!! or easy way ( hog wild + corn )
          Think like a fish no matter how weird it gets…

Comment

OK JUG!you need to be ready in this heat i have started to dress out a hog and before i can get done the flies have laid eggs and seen maggots, so be ready with your coolers with ice.Like they say get you a sack of corn five gallon buckets 12 pack cheap beer,koolaid packs or hog wild,i put milk in ther to for the stank,poor that in your buckets put the lid and let fermit.I mean tell that stuff stinks so bad you dont want to mess with it.Take it to were you plan to kill and dump it out come back and see if they ate it if so be ready they will come there every night to look for more food then OLE MILLJUG will be waiting good hunting.Ask Barham i used to make some bait that he could handel!
            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by madmike View Post
              im going to try to shoot one tommorow. it is a little hot but if you are prepared it is no prob. have ice with you and as soon as youi shoot it gut it, skin it on a tail gate if you have to. if by yourself bungy cords can help hold the legs for you. have a hacksaw so you can cut feet, neck pelvis so it will go in an ice chest. deer corn is all i use it works as good as anything else. therma cell will take care of the mosquitoes.(wal-mart or academy-30$)
              good luck- if i have any tommorow ill post up a pic
              mad mike ryans buddy? welcome aboard
              MANVEL MOB

Comment

yeah me and ryan hunted tonight and no show on the hog, but he will fall this week. its about a 250 lb boar and fairly smart.

Comment

007s huntin ryan! lmfao
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

007 dont hunt! HE KILLS!

Comment

There is no such thing as evolution, just a list of animals that 007 has allowed to live.

Comment

SEE 007 Is a bad dude!

Comment

Originally posted by lurefisher View Post
                          SEE 007 Is a bad dude!
                          really? what yall been smokin?
                          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Hey Jug you want me to bring you a trap?

Comment

Personally I like to wait till the weather cools down (a bunch from what we are having now). Not that you can't do it this time of year, but I really hate to rush. Huntin and fishin is about havin fun, if you have to rush around then it is more like work than fun.

For me mixing corn with stawberry jello has worked really well. Don't add any water or anything just the dry jello on the dry corn. They can smell the jello and no matter what folks say, hogs have a sweet tooth and like that sweet smell.

BTW let me know if you want to try out my 17HMR on them hogs, it's a fun little gun for hog huntin.
                              Pro Staff - Bounty Hunter Turbo Buzz, Creme Lures, New Pro Products, & K9 Fishing Fluorocarbon

Comment

Working...
                              X