squash vine borer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squash vine borer

they got me. Is it true that once a garden gets them that you will always have them? Also, what kills them now?

I'd hate to not being able to plant my zuk's. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0929.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	557570

Comment

They crawl along the ground until they find a plant so my mom's tactic was to put a solo cup with the bottom cut out around the plant. Cut a slit to get it around the plant, then put a strip of tape to hold it there. Have the bottom edge down in the dirt so there are no gaps to get through. You can also grow the plant through the cup.

Comment

Pest control is part of your daily garden maintenance... You can't just plant something and expect it to be perfect. You should have noticed the eggs and larvae and should have treated during the 1 week they give you before they hatch & enter the stem. They are a PITA to deal with and a big reason I switched to Cucumber in my garden because they seem less interested in that.

You can trap the adult bugs in a shallow yellow colored pan of water. They will fly in attracted & not be able to get out stuck in the water. Put these out early June. You are probably 3 weeks too late. You can see the adults because they are large moth like bugs but they fly during the day.

I would plant a second crop of squash mid July after the Adult bugs are done.

Treatment:

You can use spray or dust, check your local garden store and treat specifically for them. You can also kill the borer if you notice the plant wilting. They position themselves in the stem and cut off the water flow from the roots. Left untreated this will kill the plant. To save it you can use a knife & run it along the stem until you find the borer. You may grow new roots from this area and thus save your squash.

Prevention would include wrapping the base or planting after they are most active Gilbert. Just something you'll have to remember. I'd personally wait later in the summer to plan my squash to help combat them.

If you want more details call me.
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Also, you can always use a toothpick to kill the borer rather than slicing him out. Just look for imperfections along the stem where it may have entered, bulging or something under the surface is what you're looking for & yes there can be multiple ones.

Comment

I've never really had a problem with any pest in my garden I couldn't handle with a pair of long needle nose pliers. This is the first in 10 years of having my garden at the house that this happens. I will try milkjugs idea for next year when I plant again. It makes sense. I'll try the dust and toothpick deal on the ones I see now. My plants are on the home stretch anyways. I doubt they will be giving much more since these bugs got to them. Thanks for the tips fellas.

Comment

The larvae are laid by a wasp like insect. If you treat the plants once a week Once they start blooming you won't have them

Comment

I spray liquid 7 for those things and it seems to work pretty good.
                Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I dusted with some 7 dust yesterday. We'll see what happens. I also killed about 3 adults.

Comment

Adults were still flying?? Or you killed the larvae inside the vine...?

Make sure that dust didn't touch the flowers or pollen you won't get any squash from those that did get covered

Comment

Benificial Nemotodes can be applied during season to help combat pest without to much chemical use! they work on the Squash borer bugs!
                      West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        Adults were still flying?? Or you killed the larvae inside the vine...?

Make sure that dust didn't touch the flowers or pollen you won't get any squash from those that did get covered
                        yes, well they weren't flying, they were just chillin on the leaves and I squished them. I only dusted the vine and the base area. No blooms were harmed in the application. I have about 8 zuc's growing on them. I will also trade zuc's for egg plant if anyone has any.

Comment

I'm gonna have a pile of em but it's gonna be a few weeks. I'll let you know.
                          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                            I'm gonna have a pile of em but it's gonna be a few weeks. I'll let you know.

right on. it will be about 5-7 days before I pull off some more zuc's.

Comment

Ya'll are killin' me. I need to get some land.

Comment

Working...
                              X