Trailer Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Lights

Ok, I am getting frustrated with my trailer lights. 4 months ago I replaced my boat trailer lights with a new expensive LED set ($70.00). Well, they are trashed. So i decided to put a set of the less inexpensive ($24.00) submersible sets and just spray them after each trip with CorrosionX or WD-40. They are not corroding, now I am blowing bulbs,(bulbs are breaking cracking). If I unplug my lights, I can't backup my trailer because of the electric surge brakes. I do have an option of mounting my lights high up on my side boat guides. It would mean making some brackets and fishing some wire.

What are you guys doing? Anybody else having these problems?

Thanks in advance...
    "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
    "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

My LED's have gone out from dunking my trailer... They say there not supposed to go out but I have had a good few fail and just noticed it the other day... I'd put mine up high out of the water and just make sure your connections have good tape or that liquid tape stuff.

I'm going back to a single bulb these LED's are no good IMO...
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Yep, I agree. The LED's are expensive and still go out. Bulbs are cheap, and relatively easy to replace. Spraying the insides with CorrosionX or WD-40 every couple of trips keeps the corrosion away. I will start working on a plan to get the lights mounted on the boat guides so they will be high & dry. Best bet is to not "Dunk" them.

On a side note, I thought "Submersible" meant "Sealed", boy was I wrong, It means, "There is a hole for the water to drain" or get in...
      "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
      "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

If you have PVC Guides they make a light that sits on top of the PVC, well it seats inside it and the top is visible as brake lights indicator so forth... check those out while your lookin around.

Comment

Well I plugged in my trailer lights and found the whole left side is dead now... the right side is half dead! Looks like I'm going to purchase the replacements tomorrow

Comment

I'm an expert at trailer lights, sort of!
            It's almost always the ground(s) Those clearance lamps that are supposed to get the ground through the trailer, need a real wire ground. If a whole side is bad it's at the plug. I usually start at the truck connection and work my way back redoing the connections, if there's enough slack.
            I always use the heat shrink connectors with heat shrink tube over that.
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

i don't know anything about trailer lites but how do you test your ground? i'm pretty sure that's what's wrong with mine. some day the left is out, some day the right, some day part of the right and some days they both work. where do you start or should i just have it re-wired?
              michelle

Comment

We replaced ours with the submersible lights while we were evacuated from ike. We got home and put silicone around all the edges and seals and havn't had a problem until last weekend one of the bulbs was coroded some but cleaned it up put a new bulb in and it works fine. But we can unplug our lights when we back it down.
                Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Michelle it could be the connection to your trailer plug... I know the dang adapter I have to put from the back of my Tahoe to the trailer plug sometimes doesn't get a good connection on the car the blades sometimes get pushed or bent in and no longer make good contact. Test the easy things first then start and like Kenny said work your way down the trailer.

Comment

2 things I hate...potlickers and trailer lights!
                    Don't be a Nancy!
                    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I dont know a trailer that doesnt have light problems. Just keeping putting the cheap sets on to save money for all the replacing you have to do

Comment

Michelle,
                        They sell a little plug/connector tester at most boat stores and Academy. It plugs into the truck and has little lights tha are on or off. It's helpful.

I always attach a 10 gauge ground wire about 30" long to the trailer tongue bolt and a small copper spring clamp on the other end, which I clip on the truck bumper or frame.
                        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

So Kenny you ground your trailer to your vehicle in addition to having the ground through the normal plug?

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                            I'm an expert at trailer lights, sort of!
                            It's almost always the ground(s) Those clearance lamps that are supposed to get the ground through the trailer, need a real wire ground. If a whole side is bad it's at the plug. I usually start at the truck connection and work my way back redoing the connections, if there's enough slack.
                            I always use the heat shrink connectors with heat shrink tube over that.

I don't know how I missed this thread when it started. Kenny hit the nail on the head. I think 75% of the time it's going to have something to do with the ground. Clean all connections at the plug and then start checking the trailer. Some place you will find corrosion on a connection and a little Corrosion X want hurt either after everything is cleaned up.
                            A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Saltwater + trailer wiring =
                              Don't be a Nancy!
                              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                              X