looking to buy a kayak... any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to buy a kayak... any advice?

i am currently looking into buying a kayak. I have never kayak fished before, but i would really like to get into it. What are yall's reccomendations for good kayak brands. i would like something that is easy to maneuver since i am a beginner, but i also want something that i can use when i become more experienced. what do yall think of the ocean kayak brand? any help would be great. Thanks, JR

They are good. If space isn't an issue, I'd get something longer for more speed and easier paddling. The OK specks are good kayaks for the price. The OK Prowler 13 is even nice, but a bit more expensive. Mainstream Kingfish is another good one for the price. You can find the ones I mentioned above at Academy.

I use a Mini-X and like it, but it's slow. It's good as it fits in my living room nicely If I had a garage I would paddle a longer kayak.

Comment

Wilderness Systems makes some good ones.
      The Tarpon 14 is a popular one.
      I have one of the old school Tarpon 12's. It a great little boat.

FWIW: Spend the money and get a high quality carbon fiber paddle. It is worth it. Onno makes a great one.

If you're not going to be doing a lot of open water traveling and more of a short distance bay fishing scenario, save a few bucks and leave off the rudder. The rudder does help on re-sale tho.

Manta makes a decent boat too.

Hope this helps.
      West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Don't forget the seat too. Don't skimp on paddle or seat and you'll be gravy.

What's your budget? You looking for a fast bay kayak to cover some water, or a stable (at the expense of some speed) platform you can fish the surf with?

Comment

Go to craigslist Houston and Galveston. You should be able to find a good deal. My brother bought a new Ocean Yak with all the goodies and loves it.
          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

We have 2 tarpon 140's they are a whole lot of fun!
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I was at Gander Mountain the other week and saw that they were having a sale. 20% off all kayaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                Don't forget the seat too. Don't skimp on paddle or seat and you'll be gravy.

What's your budget? You looking for a fast bay kayak to cover some water, or a stable (at the expense of some speed) platform you can fish the surf with?
                i dont really want to spend more than 650.. but that is at the high end of my budget. i think i want something used

Comment

One of the guys I work with is actually selling his yak for about that much. It's one of the narrower boats, so it would be great for getting you around the bay or calm surf really fast. I wouldn't take it out in rough surf though. Probably not a good choice either if you're a big guy. It has a rudder which is nice for controlling your drifts, and turning that long of a yak. I would buy it up myself if I had some spare cash.

Might have already been scooped, but it's a great deal.

Comment

I have the spec. Good kayak to start out with..A good paddle is a must like everyone else said

Comment

thanks for all the help guys, i will look into all of those boats. hope to see yall on the water soon.

Comment

Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler, 15ft., elongated center hatch for rod storage. Wide enough for stability, but long enough for a full day of paddling. Tons of storge room.
                        Attached Files
                        Don't be a Nancy!
                        If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
                        X