Understanding Water Levels in West Bay/Christmas Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding Water Levels in West Bay/Christmas Bay

I could use some help understanding how one finds out how high the water is out on the bay? I went out gigging last night in Christmas bay, after a tide site showed that low tide was 735P. Upon arrival around 730P, the water seemed to be significantly higher than the last time I was out during a low tide.

The water level pushed me out of areas that last time were very productive. Winds were light 5 mph.

Obviously there are large fluctuations between different low tides. Any suggestions on how to get not just low tide, but actual water levels?

BTW, still found about a 16".

I'm wanting to head out again this weeked, but would like to solve this puzzle.

Help?

NOAA maintains a site that provides forecast tides and actual water level for various tide monitors in the Gulf. The sites they monitor in and around Galveston are Rollover Pass, Galveston North Jetty, Galveston Pier 21, Eagle Point, and USCG Freeport.

You can find the site HERE. Click 'Gulf' in the upper left and the various tide monitoring stations are shown by state. Click the one you want a graph of predicted tide versus actual tide and 'residual' are plotted. Also handy is the wind direction and actual wind speed reading (note the wind speed is in knots and Knots x 1.15 = MPH.

Look at the graph for Eagle Point or Rollover from last night, you will the tides are running well above normal. I don't exactly know why but they have been running well above predicted levels for about a week. May be due to the high pressure system over us or TS Debbie. When I went by Louis' Bait Camp for lunch yesterday at 1:30p, the water was almost level with the dock at the boat ramp.

JYC
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

The water levels are way up right now.
      Welcome aboard. Stop by the Welcome setion and introduce yourself!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

FYI - Here is the current graph for Eagle Point. Note that the actual is running 1.5 feet above the predicted tide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tide monitor sample.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	557607
        "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Tides have been higher than normal. Here is site that shows tides and height as well as solunar tables.

Tide tables and solunar charts for fishing: high tides and low tides; sun and moon rising and setting times, lunar phase, fish activity, weather conditions...

Comment

Great web site, combines tides, wind and moon. Thanks thewind78

Comment

Where did you get that tide chart? It would be useful. Could you send me a link? Thanks thewind78

Comment

This is the app I use on my iPhone. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Comment

Originally posted by thewind78 View Post
                  Where did you get that tide chart? It would be useful. Could you send me a link? Thanks thewind78

He actually posted it earlier.
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                  X