7/7/12 Offshore Galveston thru SLP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/7/12 Offshore Galveston thru SLP

Me and my brother tandemed out SLP. My starboard motor kept overheating and not sure why-had to stop 5 times and let it cool down-acted like water pump would stop working-pisser would stop and after shutting down for 5 minutes, would be back on and alarm was off, so went 40 plus miles (pump was replaced about 6 months ago and I put maybe 15 hours on boat since new pumps). Limited on Snappers at GA 355. Then headed south to GA 424. Trolled rapalas and sardines with no success-no kings. Did hook 1 turtle at 355 in 86' of water-those circle hooks work great-turtle spit it out about 15' down. Hit a small weedline (actually just a large clump about the size of the boat) and tossed a handfull of menhaden and out came the chickens-tossed gulp shrimp at em and stopped after about 10 chickens-storm to east heading our way plus time to start back.

Total 6 snaps for 3 on my boat and no big ones and 10 or so chicken dolphins. No kings. Brother did land and release a 33" ling on his boat-they went west of us and got into chicken dolphin also and only got 1 keeper snapper.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Wish I could have gone but Saturday was the tournament & Sunday it was pouring!
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Good show, Robalo. Could be the stats causing the overheating?

Comment

way to go jerry

Comment

I think the pump has an issue-plus have some gas line issues-will take to Bryan Evans. Thanks.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Missed you at the weigh in!
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
              Missed you at the weigh in!
              x2 Had the wife along and she wanted to meet the legend.
              Of course, Bruce was a good substitute.

Did you check inside the water intakes?
              At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                x2 Had the wife along and she wanted to meet the legend.
                Of course, Bruce was a good substitute.
                OMG!! Did her jaw finally rise from the floor?!?! LOL!
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

That was one heck of a pick-up line.....
                  At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Heck Rocky, that 22' Skeeter coulda made it-saw a Blazer bay and Pathfinder out there-both 22's.

Sorry I missed Bruce and Oleander and his better half at the SLAM T, but dint get back til almost 4 and had Mona's son and son-in-law with me and the son's wifey was PO'd we were "late"-sheez, we was catching fishies-she should know better-plus we lost an hour dickin with the starboard motor.

Comment

Robalo,

Was there a lot of seaweed out there ? Last Saturday there was a lot of seaweed and and it would foul my prop trip the alarm, I would stop wait a minute or two and let the seaweed sink or tilt the motor to clear it.

Went as far as GA298C in my 19' Pathfinder last Saturday, nice and calm great day on the water.
                      "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Howdy Texfish: Yep, lots of busted up patches and some small "groups" but not the really nice big weedlines I prefer. With twins, if seaweed was issue, then both should have acted up if fouled by sargassum, but only the starboard did (but then again, maybe only the starboard motor caught the weeds????). I was turning motor off, checking to make sure intakes weren't covered by something by trimming up and wait a little, then turn key and if alarm went off, would wait a little more, then start it-the pisser wasn't pissing most everytime after alarm went off, so it must be water pump-then it would start pissing-I also ran wire leader up pisser to unclog it (had that happen before and the alarm wouldn't go off with a clogged pisser). Evans Marine will be seeing me Saturday-heck if the rain don't stop, may be able to just run my boat to his shop!! It aint helping me that the starboard motor's water pressure gauge line fell apart either-gauge reads zero while port gauge works fine-cheapazz water pressure hose/line. I aint a Mercury fan-lotta cheap plastic crap.

Thanks for the advice-appreciate it.

I did see a 22' Pathfinder at GA355 and a 22' Blazer Bay also-that's a 35 mile run from the pass. It was 1-3' seas going out-coming back is a breeze with the waves.

Comment

A few more hours of rain and you will be able to run straight as the crow flies to Evans shop.

Yea with a light following seas you can nearly fly back into port.

Good luck on the repair.
                          "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                          X