Marine plywood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine plywood

Havent been able to find anywhere around Alvin that carries marine plywood. Do u guys have any suggestion or know a place that aint too far that carries it? If not im bout to say screw it and get treated lmao!

Maybe somewhere around Kemah/San Leon area? Maybe they can order for you...

Comment

What are you building?

Comment

Im deckin my boat

Comment

Kemah hardware on 146 use to carry it
          Today is a new day!!

Comment

Okay ill give them a call in a bit thanks

Comment

Got another question for yall. Is there that much difference in marine plywood and treated ? I know the obvious two one is wet wood one is dry and the weight but is there that much difference that i need to spend $40+ more for the marine per sheet i need 4 sheets. And yeah im a penny pincher lol.

Comment

Yes -- the marine is treated to a higher presssure and with more concentrated chemicals -- My dad's been building and working on boats for 65 years and swears by it -- especially in salt water. If you don't use marine then you need to at least glass the treated plywood on the top and bottom. -- and I'd try Kemah Hardware as well.
                Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                  Yes -- the marine is treated to a higher presssure and with more concentrated chemicals -- My dad's been building and working on boats for 65 years and swears by it -- especially in salt water. If you don't use marine then you need to at least glass the treated plywood on the top and bottom. -- and I'd try Kemah Hardware as well.
                  Okay thanks alot

Comment

Treated wood should work fine for redecking. Save the extra expense and buy some fishing gear or something else you want or need. If you use marine grade plywood, you will need to epoxy coat it. It is bare/natural, not treated to a higher pressure or more concentrated chemicals(where did that info come from?). That's a lot of extra work. You can use the preassure treated as-is. Good luck with your project! Post pics!

BTW - Saltwater does NOT rot wood.
                    "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Thanks here is a couple pics of wat it looks like now i havent take many i already took the wood of the front and rear deck and ripped the crap carpet off the floor the floor is very soft in some spots so its gettin all new wood and carpet.

Comment

You can also epoxy/resin coat the pressure treated plywood if you are concerned about the saltwater breaking down the glue. Polyester resin is fairly cheap for the added benefit.

That's a nice rig...I've been thinking of getting something like that for a flounder boat.

Good luck!

Comment

Marine grade has better glue, And water of any sort will cause rot if soaked,and kept wet often enough!Lookin at the pics of that project,you could get by with a treated wood! It looks pretty easy to replace, but it wont hurt to cover it with a decent carpet!And Mikes dad is right about it being better for boats as he's only been doin it all his life!
                          Last edited by Rollo; July 10, 2012, 03:28 PM.
                          West Bay Sensai...

Comment

A quick search on the internet turned up that both marine grade and treated ply use the same waterproof glue. Saltwater does not rot wood. That's a fact. Look it up.

Comment

I also just read that the copper( wat they started putting in when they could use arsenic) in treated sheets isnt good for aluminum that it causes oxidization

Comment

Working...
                              X