Offshore Galveston 6/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offshore Galveston 6/22

Headed out out of GYB in hopes of making it to the claypiles. We got derailed by wind again and stuck it out rig hopping in the 30+ mile range. Kings, smaller to barely legal snaps, and sharks were not a problem, but where are the bigger ling? We did manage 1 ling just past 37" on cut bait in 38' which surprized us. Also had some of the prettiest redfish I've ever saw. Looked like they'd been in ultra skinny water with the colors they had.
    At one satellite rig, I had a school of 3 ling that just wouldn't hit anything...frustrating as heck. I chummed them up then dangled everything we had, just no takers. Threw mosly snapper slappers, squid, and sardines. Tried a few other jigs on the ling, but withou any luck.

Anyways it was good to get out and the seas did look like they were trying to subside some. It wasn't flat by any means, but we handled it okay. Just wish we could've made it out a little further. Final tally, 3 man limit on snaps and 1 ling. At least I got dinner covered.

Man, am I soar!
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

at least you gave it a shot. Its been nasty out there.

Comment

Very nice work. Those red snaps are tasty.

Comment

Thanks for the report FoF. Tough seas to be fishing-my back would crater-good going!!
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks for the report, it always pays off to have a dozen live piggies or so. I have yet to come across a ling that wouldn't eat one of those. When I don't have those I generally get on the top of the ttop and just try to jump on the ling. This hasn't been very succesful yet, but I'm getting better.

Comment

congrats on the catch.glad yall made it out
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Its tough out there, So you all ran a SE heading?
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Good job, I didnt get aling a few weeks ago when I went out but caught my 1st tunas, black and yellow fins and they were a blast!

Comment

Thanks for the report, I am still hoping to get a chance to go offshore this year. I would not even know where to go, but it would be nice. BTW, ling might be the best fish I have eaten.
                  LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer21 View Post
                    Thanks for the report, I am still hoping to get a chance to go offshore this year. I would not even know where to go, but it would be nice. BTW, ling might be the best fish I have eaten.
                    Ling are why I keep getting the blessing from my wife to go offshore. She loves that fish!
                    Piggies are good, but GYB was out. We tried a bar jack and they just looked at it and swam away. Out of all the 5 ling I've caught, they all came on 3 oz white snapper slapper, just get it in the zone and pop it.
                    Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

I am thinking about going thursday out of matty.
                      "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
                      boom

Comment

Originally posted by boom View Post
                        I am thinking about going thursday out of matty.
                        We were thinking Sunday. I'm working Thursday, but hoping to hit the surf Friday morning. Let me know if you don't go Thursday, and wanna try the surf Friday.
                        Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

I'm ranching this weekend but I might be up for an early am friday swim.
                          "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
                          boom

Comment

Originally posted by boom View Post
                            I'm ranching this weekend but I might be up for an early am friday swim.
                            I'll call you Thursday evening.
                            Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

We're going Friday and SUnday out of Freeport. I picked up the boat. Monte why don't you come down here and enter all my numbers in for me.

Does GYB allow cast net off there docks? If they do get a pound of dead shrimp crush them up real small throw in the water and let sink for a few seconds and throw the cast net. Repeat this a few times and you'll have more then you'll use. This is what I do almost everytime if I leave after daylight. Or sometimes I go the night before.

Comment

Working...
                              X