Locked up !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locked up !

I got another question for yall guru's. My steering is locked up on my boat. The cable itself is pretty much brand new. So my question is where should i start? Ive heard mixes things about just tryin to put more grease in the fittings i hear do it and ive heard dont do it cause itll just pack the old grease tighter in there. So basically I have no clue wat to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Is it teleflex? Or is it hydraulic? But You said cables? I am sending PM.
    Beandaddy

Comment

If it is the shaft through the outboard you usually can free it by twisting the shaft clockwise, then counter clockwise with vice grips.

Bonito

Comment

grab motor and your buddy grab da wheel grease her up good and wrestle it!
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Thanks alot yall its an older evinrude 70hp i unscrewed the steering cable tried to pull that rod out but could pull it out all the way. Yall gave me some good starting point Ill take some pics and post them on here this weekend im a boat motor rookie so i need the help i can get thanks again!

Comment

Okay thanks and yes the rod is stuck in that sleeve or watever it is.

Comment

Paul is right-disconnect the linkage and spray light oil and work the cable back and forth. Folks that put axle grease in those zerk fittings end up "gluing' the steering cable (that's what happened to my old boat per good old Huey Smith). Huey said use a very lightweight grease-he said never use axle grease on a steering cable.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                Paul is right-disconnect the linkage and spray light oil and work the cable back and forth. Folks that put axle grease in those zerk fittings end up "gluing' the steering cable (that's what happened to my old boat per good old Huey Smith). Huey said use a very lightweight grease-he said never use axle grease on a steering cable.
                Okay will do thanks

Comment

Twisting the rod with a pair pliers or an adjustable end wrenchfirst will sometimes work try that before doing any banging on it with a hammer if you use a hammer to drive it back and forth insulate the shaft from direct contact with a block of wood and use lots of lubrication,careful so as not to bugger any thing or mushroom the end. Good Luck......you caaan doo it!!! And if these suggestions arent working seek out Bryan Evans! He's tha man!!
                  West Bay Sensai...

Comment

If it's sticking out on the left side (from the stern) Use a wood block and hammer to push it in, then I use a large steel rod (punch) and a hammer to tap mine out the rest of the way.
                    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Ok thanks alot everyone will post wat happens gonna work on it sunday

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                        If it's sticking out on the left side (from the stern) Use a wood block and hammer to push it in, then I use a large steel rod (punch) and a hammer to tap mine out the rest of the way.
                        X2. Kenny is correct. You don't want to use players and such on the cable teering shaft, cause you will gouge it and have a bad spot and it will not slide freely. Once you get it out, get a good shot gun cleaning brush and spray some carb cleaner in the tube and clean it very good. People say use anti seize when reinserting the shaft. I disagree. I use a marine grade bearing grease. The anti seize will eventually the anti seize will dry and gum up over time and have the same issue. Just take your time and you will get it.
                        Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                        (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                        4340 19th St.
                        Bacliff, Texas 77518
                        http://evansmarine.net
                        http://boatwerxtx.com
                        main@boatwerxtx.com
                        281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

Okay thanks

Comment

Here are some pics of my steering system worked on it a lil today.

Comment

whatever you do change that bolt on the front of the motor where the linkage bolts up!!! I was thrown from my boat when that bolt sheared! it was not pretty at 38 mph
                              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...
                              X