First Red on Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Red on Fly

I have a cousin in from N Fl who I grew up fishing with. We used to fish the salt and fresh water ponds and spring fed creeks in the panhandle as kids. He has had some other things take him away from fishing lately, so I was really happy to get him out on the water. It was his first time fishing Texas. We got a later start, on the water about 5:00 pm, so time was of the essence. We started motoring to the back of the marsh but the wind and the sun were not our friends, so I made the call to move to an area towards a drain. As soon as we go t there it was on. Crabs all over, shrimp going nuts, and reds just filthy with their backs out. 10 ft roll cast is all you needed to seal the deal. Seemed like fall conditions. From 7:30-9:30 we put 11 fish in the canoe.

Fishing the falling tide with a lower light angle was the trick. Not to many pics due to low light, but here is the first on fly for him. Fishing were lookign for the crabs right ont he marsh banks of the deeper channels. the canal was 3-4 ft deep, but the fish were on the banks.

fly in the mouth

mr rubber lips unhappy face...

Great photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great pictures and congratulations. Good report too. Thanks.

JYC
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Fun report & photos! Congrats!
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Great report, great photos
          FPIII

Salt Water Fishn Is My Heritage

Comment

Allways a thril.I hope that was a first of many more to come.
            Skiffstiff

Comment

Good work and cool pics!
              You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Very nice!!

Originally posted by Tidalguide View Post
                I have a cousin in from N Fl who I grew up fishing with. We used to fish the salt and fresh water ponds and spring fed creeks in the panhandle as kids. He has had some other things take him away from fishing lately, so I was really happy to get him out on the water. It was his first time fishing Texas. We got a later start, on the water about 5:00 pm, so time was of the essence. We started motoring to the back of the marsh but the wind and the sun were not our friends, so I made the call to move to an area towards a drain. As soon as we go t there it was on. Crabs all over, shrimp going nuts, and reds just filthy with their backs out. 10 ft roll cast is all you needed to seal the deal. Seemed like fall conditions. From 7:30-9:30 we put 11 fish in the canoe.

Fishing the falling tide with a lower light angle was the trick. Not to many pics due to low light, but here is the first on fly for him. Fishing were lookign for the crabs right ont he marsh banks of the deeper channels. the canal was 3-4 ft deep, but the fish were on the banks.

fly in the mouth

mr rubber lips unhappy face...
                Please take a picture of the bug you used

Comment

Working...
                X