Karankawa Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karankawa Lake

I've always been interested in fishing Karankawa Lake, but the guys that brag about their harvests in there always seem to lock up when I inquire about navigating through the channel. I'm an experienced angler and responsible captain, and fully understand the hazards of shallow water, reefs, etc. . Can anyone break it down for me. With access to aerial and satelite photos on the web, I think I can make pretty good sense of your advised course. Thanks, saltandlime.

First of all, welcome to the site. Second of all, great name (saltandlime). As for Karankawa Lake, I am not too familiar with it, but there are plenty of guys/girls on this forum that have fished it and will be willing to help you out.

Good luck out there and send us some reports when you do get in that lake.
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Coe knows! I never been in there-my boats draft to much water.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Coe will tell you if you join the slam tournament
        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Tournament

Coe actually approached me in Jamaica Beach as a total stranger about the tournament. That's how I found out about this community. I love the idea of the tournament, but the date will be hard for me to pull off. Best of luck.

Comment

No problem, I was just giving you a hard time. PM (private message) Coe and he should be able to talk to you about the lake.
            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Two ways in...the easiest way is through the winding bayou entrance directly across from the two bay houses on the other side of the ship channel. Tricky part is staying to correct side of the bayou. When coming in, the deeper water is on the right side of the channel, then shifts to the left side and then back right. Follow the current as it marks the path pretty well. On the last turn in, follow the port shore line as the other side is shell all the way down. You can pretty much hug the shore line in from there. When you see the mouth of the bay, I prefer to be up on a plane.

I would also try this for the first time in a high tide. That way you can putter in without worry and get the feel for it.

Good Luck...
              Brad
              sigpic

Comment

Don't follow me you won't make it I go in the same way Baby Tran Cat
                does. I'd suggest high tide I don't know any shallow areas I draft 0"
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I don't know any shallow areas I draft 0"
                  Bragger

Comment

BTC got it right. I fish in there quite a bit, but make sure you have water before trying to run up in there. Make sharp turns to hug the shorelines. There is one skinny spot all the way across after you make the last turn about halfway to the lake, so make sure you stay om plane all the way in.
                    I haven't caught much in there this year though.
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Hey thanks for the advice guys, I'll make some notes of this and give it a run in the ShallowSport or my little scooter so as to use as little water as possible. Sounds like you all agree on one thing.... SHALLOW. Thanks to all.<><

Comment

On a regular tide I sometimes rub at that last spot in my Flatbottom....definitely Skinny in there, but you should have no problems in the SS or the scooter.
                        sigpic
                        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Just so you know I wasn't BS'ing... Should have better vids and pics later this year TXSHOCKWAVE & I are going to tear it up

West End Angler takes you for a ride on the Gator-Tail. Starting in 1" of water we quickly are on plane!
                          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Up on the website tool bar is a map page. then click on to enlarge. Its google earth a few years ago but it shows the bay really well.

Comment

I would definately go with someone who knows it. You have to whip the boat around the corners pretty good. I've been back there twice this summer and haven't done too well.

Comment

Working...
                              X