Tiki Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiki Island

I am new to Galveston and was hoping for some friendly advice. I launch at Tiki Island and run out to the Causeway. Is that considered "West Bay"? Where should I try to fish if I want to fish mid shallow water, say 2' - 4' of water. I do have a shallow 20' Attackaflat boat and can go shallow. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you have been launching at teakwood marina on tiki, it is now closed. If you were to go out the channel from tiki and turn right in the first channel then split left at the next channel you will be in west bay. You might want to get someone to tag along and show you the way as west bay can be unforgiving on lower units. I'd be happy to show you or ride along with you sometime.
    welcome to the board,
    boom
    "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
    boom

Comment

I would love a tag along or ride along anytime. I am going to try this Wed morning if there is any chance you are available.

Comment

Sort of is West bay; West bay-I always considered all west of Tx City/Campbell's/Swan lake/Pelican Island as West Bay and anything west of there. Regardless, it is fishing that counts. Boom is right, but use your gps (with a good chip in it) and zoom in and out and note the old ICW that runs between N and S Deer Islands. Confederate and Caracahua reefs are dangerous to lower units and hulls. Follow someone (kindly and safe distance) to get an idea of where to run and not run. It takes years to learn where to go and where not to try to go. Hire the Aqua Pimp and you'll learn a lot in 1 day. get a hotspot map or hooksetter map and study it, use Google Earth and other sites; check all the info out, study where to go or what looks good to you and check your maps, gps and see what works as far as water depths and landmarks and use the knowledge you can gleam from websites such as this (or just follow Boom!!).
        Last edited by Robalo; June 29, 2009, 01:48 PM.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Welcome aboard

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
            Sort of is West bay; West bay-I always considered all west of Tx City/Campbell's/Swan lake/Pelican Island as West Bay and anything west of there. Regardless, it is fishing that counts. Boom is right, but use your gps (with a good chip in it) and zoom in and out and note the old ICW that runs between N and S Deer Islands. Confederate and Caracahua reefs are dangerous to lower units and hulls. Follow someone (kindly and safe distance) to get an idea of where to run and not run. It takes years to learn where to go and where not to try to go. Hire the Aqua Pimp and you'll learn a lot in 1 day. get a hotspot map or hooksetter map and study it, use Google Earth and other sites; check all the info out, study where to go or what looks good to you and check your maps, gps and see what works as far as water depths and landmarks and use the knowledge you can gleam from websites such as this (or just follow Boom!!).
            What he said......Hiring AP would be money well spent!
            Welcome aboard!
            sigpic
            Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Welcome, I am in the same situation as you. Grew up in San Diego and NEVER had to worry about running aground. Be careful relying on GPS... I have a Lowrance HDS 7 with insight and navionics. On Sunday, I was on my way SLP, I was about .5 off of south shore and about a mile from SLP. The lowrance has worked great until thus far. It showed 5-6ft all around me and I noticed a scarab with 10 people in knee high water trying to push the boat off the sand about 200 yrds to my right. I slowed down, and turned to help them... right then, BAM! ran aground. I am glad I slowed down to about 10mph. Even then, had to get out (6in water) turn the boat around and work my way back. By the time I got to the scarab, there were two other boats helping them.

It was around 2PM this last sunday, and I think the tide was going out from an already (low) high tide.

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
                Welcome, I am in the same situation as you. Grew up in San Diego and NEVER had to worry about running aground. Be careful relying on GPS... I have a Lowrance HDS 7 with insight and navionics. On Sunday, I was on my way SLP, I was about .5 off of south shore and about a mile from SLP. The lowrance has worked great until thus far. It showed 5-6ft all around me and I noticed a scarab with 10 people in knee high water trying to push the boat off the sand about 200 yrds to my right. I slowed down, and turned to help them... right then, BAM! ran aground. I am glad I slowed down to about 10mph. Even then, had to get out (6in water) turn the boat around and work my way back. By the time I got to the scarab, there were two other boats helping them.

It was around 2PM this last sunday, and I think the tide was going out from an already (low) high tide.

Remember this...any kind of West wind will drain West Bay, at the Pass in particular. We've been having SW to W winds all week.
                Don't be a Nancy!
                If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

So is there a big discrepancy between the HDS and the REAL depth? Probably a combo of tide going out and w/sw winds all week?I will figure out the coordinates to pinpoint where it was.

There were a crap load of big orange posts all scattered around the area I was.

Comment

Those orange posts I thought were the channel markers.. correct me if I'm wrong.
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

All:

Those mark the channel-stay right and close to em as headed from West bay to Bird/SLP-otherwise you're aground!! Also, south of the "outlet" or last markers into West bay (coming home from SLP) is shallow for about 300 yards, so kind of head ENE when coming into the bay!!!
                        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                        X