Need tips on gear for Jetty trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tips on gear for Jetty trip.

I am heading out with a friend for the 1st time(hi boat) to the north jetty this month. Please let me know what type of gear I should take or purchase.

I have a Pen 320 GT2 reel on an ugly stick. I am not sure why type of weights or hooks to take out there, anywho any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to catch redfish or anything else. I don;t know whats all out there.

Thanks!
    NoBama

You'll be fishing in deep water more than likely and current will be an issue. You'll need weight to keep your bait on bottom say 6-8oz I'd suggest a bank or egg weight snapper type setup.

You can always free line shrimp back behind the boat with split shot to sink it in the water column. I do this to locate where the fish are. You'll catch everything from Spanish Mackerel to Jacks out there so bring some heavy leader 40lb + rocks can break you off Spanish Macks chew through 20 and 30lb very easy too! You can always buy that tie-able wire leader I've used it and had success with it but still prefer mono or light wire leader setup.

You can use an inshore rod or heavier duty Penn Squider or any combo like that... I lean towards spinners cause I never know where I will get a spot and what the wind will actually be doing with the tide and current wherever I may end up.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

If the wind allows, try drifting a ballooned bait out back for sharks.

Also drop a big bait on a sinker down for any bull reds (sharks too). I'd think 6-8oz is excessive. I fish 3oz weights in the channel where the current is ripping. Bring 'em in case though.

While these baits are soaking, try some shrimp or small finfish up against the rocks for trout and reds. I like slip-float rigs for next to the rocks. You can cast out a rig to suspend the bait at 10' easily. Cover the different water depths near the rocks. Try suspending at 5' near the rocks, then next cast try it 10' further away until you find where the fish are. Remember the jetty is like an iceberg, there is a lot of rocks underwater that extend out.

Good luck!

Comment

I use heavy tackle like for kings unless throwing into the rocks for trout and reds-if rock throwing, your bay stuff is fine-just rig a 1/8 ounce weight egg weight above a swivel and tie 20# flourocarbon leader and either a #8 mustad treble or #1 or 2 flounder hook or croaker hook and toss at rocks-look for "washover" areas. If gonna drop a cracked crab, use that Penn 320 GTI or as MJ said drift a sardine or shad under a balloon for sharks and maybe spannymacs. You should plan on 2 heavier rods and 2 bay rods per person to cover all depths/areas. If using cracked crabs like for uglies, get some 1,2,&3 ounce egg weights and swivels and some tru-turn worm style hooks and use 20+ # flouro for leaders-add egg weights as needed due to current-usually 2 oz. is enough to keep down unless in heavy current area. I just dropp off end of boat and let current carry it aways after feeling bottom and usually use 1 or 2 oz weight for crab. Ballooning use no weight and try fresh shad/menhaden or live 5" mullet.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Whoops-either use just a swivel for weight or maximum 1/8 oz weight for throwing for trout and reds at rocks and kind of "feel" it bouncing down and then you'll feel a tap or bump-set it cause ya done be hooked up (or snagged).
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks for the great information, I have never balloned b but will try it.
            NoBama

Comment

Here are my two cents..... Call Aqua Pimp! Let's us know how you do.
              LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer21 View Post
                Here are my two cents..... Call Aqua Pimp! Let's us know how you do.
                lol..ditto

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                  You'll be fishing in deep water more than likely and current will be an issue. You'll need weight to keep your bait on bottom say 6-8oz I'd suggest a bank or egg weight snapper type setup.

You can always free line shrimp back behind the boat with split shot to sink it in the water column. I do this to locate where the fish are. You'll catch everything from Spanish Mackerel to Jacks out there so bring some heavy leader 40lb + rocks can break you off Spanish Macks chew through 20 and 30lb very easy too! You can always buy that tie-able wire leader I've used it and had success with it but still prefer mono or light wire leader setup.

You can use an inshore rod or heavier duty Penn Squider or any combo like that... I lean towards spinners cause I never know where I will get a spot and what the wind will actually be doing with the tide and current wherever I may end up.

Everything above is good stuff. We put big baits (Spanish Sardines) down using 5 to 8oz weights. Free line some shrimp behind the boat will get hard strikes of Trout and Smack's. If you get a chance, put a large live bait down (Croaker, Piggy, Sand Trout) and watch what happens. We were putting down whole frozen spanish sardines and catching sharks and Jacks, put on a live bait and caught the big reds. My favorite spot is about 100 yards off the end of the North Jetty. Be careful anchoring right at the end of the north. It seems to be a dumping ground for old shrimp nets, shrimp doors, chain, etc...

I use Penn Slammer 15-30lb Rods, Penn 8000 Series Spin Reels spooled with Suffix Braid.
                  "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
                  "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

man I am getting excited. I am going to go catch some bait this weekend to stock up on the bait.
                    NoBama

Comment

My Snapper setup consists of 100lb mono a barrel swivel attached to my main line (80lb) with a 6oz - 8oz egg eight a crimp to hold egg weigh up off the hook and then a circle hook about 12- 18" down from the crimped egg weight. The total length is maybe 2'.

The reason I mention my snapper setup is because I use it from the Pelican Island bridge to Jetties then off shore of course. Its an all around great bottom rig.

Try covering all the areas with your baits then once you locate where the fish are in the water column exploit them!
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                      X