Steel leaders and trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel leaders and trout

I was raised to believe that using steel leaders while free shrimping will reduce your quantity of trout caught due to the lack of movement the shrimp is allowed , so when I'm at the jetties free lining I would lose alot of hooks to Spanish mackerel inbetween trout , I was wondering yalls take on this as I am planning a jetty trip in the morning and may give steel leaders a run , cause when you start losing a bunch of gamagatsu hooks it gets under your skin a little ...

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk 2
    I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Yea and not to mention the down time tryin to tie on fresh tackle,after a few of those its pretty frustrating, I use a piano wire thats pretty light but tough,If that get cut,..... Oh Well.Good luck with your choice!
    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Bump ,

Comment

I only use steel offshore and haven't used steel at the jetties because visible and lose action as you said. Heck, give it a try if you want and let us know your experience trying.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Try thicker mono, like 100lb

Comment

30lb mono +

Or use that wire leader you can tie knots in cool stuff, it works just like mono.
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
              30lb mono +

Or use that wire leader you can tie knots in cool stuff, it works just like mono.
              Never heard of that , got a brand name by chance ?

Comment

I use steel line on my reels so i dont worry bout leaders ....... hahahahahaha i have some 30lb florocarbon for leader line if u need some fag!

Comment

Originally posted by Reef Drifter View Post

I bought it at Academy, I'm sure FTU has it too.

Something similar to this:

Buy fishing gear online at FishUSA. Our fishing store has the best fishing lures, line, rods, & reels an angler can find online. Stock up with our fishing supplies and get all the fishing tackle you need for your fishing trip online at FishUSA today.

Comment

I would just use mono unless you are losing a lot, then I would use a short ~6" section of light single-strand with a haywire twist.

Comment

Originally posted by Reef Drifter View Post
                      Surflon. FTU carries it.
                      Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
                      and
                      Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        Surflon. FTU carries it.
                        That's what it is!!

Comment

No leader yesterday and caught trout , put a leader on no trout ! Went back to just mono started catching trout again

Comment

Thanks-results were what I would have expected.
                            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                            X