Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and Greetings to you all!

Hello all,

I'm Thien or T, Vietnamese and hoping to add some Asian flavor to this place.
    Hoping to meet great people while learning something new about fishing.
    I consider myself a rookie to fishing so any help to anything would be mostly appreciated. I'm interested in gigging flounders since last year was my first time ever fishing for flounders while wading at Seawolf.
    Coe has helped me a great deal by sharing what all I will be needing.

items bought:

flounder gigging light
    gigging stick
    12V batteries & charger
    stringer
    fanny pack

items own:
    wader & boots
    kayak
    fishing license

So my question is: Will any of you take me under your wing and help me?

Welcome

Welcome Thien, we'll try and get you out there ASAP... The 's are horrible right now! Make sure you get a bunch of OFF. We have a work weekend out at the duck camp this weekend but others here might be able to take you.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Flounder gigging is a really neat way to experience the bay at night.

Looks like you have about all the gear you need.
      A few more small items I have found useful:

Small Leatherman tool.
      There always seems to be something that needs repair, cutting, or twisting. A Leatherman tool works great for minor repairs.

A head light.
      This is a small lightweight flashlight that you wear on your head.
      There will be times you need to do something with both hands. These lights work great for that.

LOTS and LOTS of mosquito repellant. They can be lethal during darkness!

Don't forget the ice chest. Toss the flounders on ice ASAP.

Another item(s) that can be a big help is a small pocket GPS unit or some type of battery powered blinking light left on top of the vehicle/boat/dock/starting point.
      Some people get disorientated at night and can become lost. This is especially true when there are no landmarks, like on a night when fog rolls in. A GPS will guide you right back to where you started. A blinker light will allow you to orientate yourself and find your way back.
      Once you become familiar with an area these can be omitted.
      West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpie View Post
        Flounder gigging is a really neat way to experience the bay at night.

Looks like you have about all the gear you need.
        A few more small items I have found useful:

Small Leatherman tool.
        There always seems to be something that needs repair, cutting, or twisting. A Leatherman tool works great for minor repairs.

A head light.
        This is a small lightweight flashlight that you wear on your head.
        There will be times you need to do something with both hands. These lights work great for that.

LOTS and LOTS of mosquito repellant. They can be lethal during darkness!

Don't forget the ice chest. Toss the flounders on ice ASAP.

Another item(s) that can be a big help is a small pocket GPS unit or some type of battery powered blinking light left on top of the vehicle/boat/dock/starting point.
        Some people get disorientated at night and can become lost. This is especially true when there are no landmarks, like on a night when fog rolls in. A GPS will guide you right back to where you started. A blinker light will allow you to orientate yourself and find your way back.
        Once you become familiar with an area these can be omitted.

Well said moon... greenie for you... I would suggest going with someone that has been. We wade the bay side so stay away from the cut and channel until you know the area but even knowing the area isn't good enough (for SLP) its constantly changing so you need to know your landmarks like Moon said.

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
        X