West Coast Tuna Trip- 8/18/12 Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Coast Tuna Trip- 8/18/12 Report

Been in California for the last week enjoying the 68 degree nights and 80 degree days. Everyone says it's "hot" right now, but I beg to differ. Couldn't leave without going after some tuna. We set out at 9:00 PM from San Diego on Friday after loading up on live anchovies and ran close to the border of Mexico. We started fishing at daybreak. We mainly concentrated on kelp paddies. Our first kelp paddy was loaded with mahi.

Using a small Avet spooled with 20lb braid and a 30 lb flouro leader, I casted the live anchovy on a #2 live bait Gamagatsu hook. Very peculiar setup. Anyways, I freelined the anchovy and it made a bee line away from the boat. From that point, I was watching the spool and the chovy ran. The spool then picked up speed and was soon blistering line off. I reengaged the lever, rod bowed over and it was on. After a short fight I brought up a nice mahi. Repeated the process and again it was on! Unfortunately, some potlicker decided to pull up on the paddy and accidentally got too close and spooked all the fish. We attempted one more pass at it and didn't hook up (neither did the other boat). In one drift we picked up 20 or so mahi.

We left the paddy and went to look for some more. Unfortunately, as it was a weekend, most of the other paddies were occupied. We then left to make a run to look for tuna. After around an hour we came across some boiling water. Again, I repeated the process and watched my spool. The chovy started running...running...then the line started stripping faster then I could see. Reengage...ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz clicker starts screaming. I was running around the boat, ducking under people's line, going over and under, trying to keep up with the fish. Once I got the fish vertical, it was pretty hard until I started using the rail as leverage. My arms are used to trouts and reds, not tuna! It was a blast though when the bluefin got gaffed. It was also good to spend time with my dad and cousin. As per West Coast tradition, you are supposed to eat the heart of your first tuna. I'll post the video of that later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4194.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	572570Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4195.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	572571Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4196.jpg
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	572572Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4197.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	572573Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4200.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	572574Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM4201.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	572575
    Resident Ninja

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
    As per West Coast tradition, you are supposed to eat the heart of your first tuna. I'll post the video of that later.
    Jhua, don't feel obliged to post that up. Really.

Great story & photos.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
      Jhua, don't feel obliged to post that up. Really.

Great story & photos.
      wasn't too bad! Tasted fine actually :-P
      Resident Ninja

Comment

Your a tuff man. Nice pics.
        KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Dang. Do I have to upload to YouTube before getting it on here?
          Resident Ninja

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Nice going Jhua.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Resident Ninja

Comment

ha you chewed that wayyyy to much
                  Team Rolling Thunder

Comment

Awesome, fresh tuna is great stuff.

Comment

Congrats Jonathan. Same tradition over here in the Gulf too... But because you were on the West Coast it doesn't count for here... So, you'll have to eat the heart again when we go later this year
                      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                        Congrats Jonathan. Same tradition over here in the Gulf too... But because you were on the West Coast it doesn't count for here... So, you'll have to eat the heart again when we go later this year
                        But this time you've really got to chew it! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                          But this time you've really got to chew it! LOL!
                          It wasn't too bad... Like chewing squid
                          Resident Ninja

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

Jhua,

Another outstanding report !

Thanks for the report.
                              "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                              X