Hello everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone

Recently ran across this site and just joined. I've been a 2cool website guy for a long while. Anyway, glad to find a site specific to where I fish most. I've got a place in Pirate's and fish west bay most of the time. Have friends with places in Port O'Connor south to Arroyo City, but I'm usually found in the shallows of West G bay.

Pretty much just fly fish these days, both from kayaks and my poling skiff. I've been throwing flies at reds in west bay for about 15 years and I'm a pretty seasoned fly tier.

Anyway, look forward to this site.

Best,
    Flatscat1

Welcome aboard, you should find some fellow fly fisherman on here

Comment

Welcome,glad to have you aboard
      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Howdy! Any advice on the best way to catch reds in W. Bay? I fish a lot from my kayak, but hardly ever see the tailing reds that everyone talks about. Much more consistant with trout and flounder.

Comment

Welcome! a few kayakers around here also!

Comment

Milkjug,

I see more backing reds than tailing reds. The key for me in west bay (with the dirty water we have compared to south texas) is to find shallow areas. We don't have extensive grass flats except on the north shore, so not as many tailers as in the LLM. The low tide is your friend in the summer. Reds will be up in 5 inches of water very routinely this time of year eating the shrimp that live in the marshes. There is no magic spot - look for low tides in either the morning or evening and head into the marshes as shallow as your kayak can go. Go slow, be quiet and listen for blowups and look for active feeding on the edges of the marsh (shrimp jumping, wakes, etc.) In a yak you can get pretty darn close if you are quiet. You will find flounder jumping in the same places, but not too many trout. In summary, plan according to the tide and water level if you want to sight fish in west bay from a kayak. Just my 2 cents worth....

Comment

Welcome!!! We have a place in Pirates too!

If you wanna go chase some tail let me know! I love fly fishing and we can take turns poling and casting.
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think my problem is I fish deeper water pretty much all the time. Gotta head skinny one of these days and search out some reds.

Comment

Meet me at the dock Friday MilkJug... I'll show you where those reds are
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Welcome!
                      sigpic
                      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

welcome
                        Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Working...
                        X