Out Foxed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out Foxed!

Yeah, I was beat out on a great battle. Check Mate! You loose! Too freaking bad for YOU!

The past couple of nights I been on the roam for the big red. A Double Tap, 8+ # red. Tackle Time consumes me for 10 days weather I have time off or not. So, after work I been working my reef as much as I can for that hook up of a winning red, flounder, trout, and/or gafftop.

During the past decade of fishing this reef I have come up with big slot reds, 5lb flounder, 27" trout, and some heathy slimmers. Last night I was beat out at my own game!

Monday I tore the heck out of my cast net, but cought some quallity bait for some nice reds. I got set up at 745 pm only to see the storms brewing! and I really mean to the point of I best let my bait go and head on home. La Marque lost power and TC was bombarded with lightning strikes. The storm never got to the Island or even would have disturbed my fishing. I did manage a nice black drum, black tip shark that I could fit a baseball in its mouth, and two rat reds. I was on the causeway at 820pm!

I took Tuesday night off! Why? because I am no longer 20 years old and I have to work this week. Anyway I went out last night and this is my story!

Wind layed lower than the past few days. Greener water was in the area. I bought a new cast net at lunch that day only to find out on the reef that I bought a freaking nylon net. Its like throwing a big WHITE asz blacket over the mullet so they scatter quicker and it gets tore up 10x faster and it did. Trashed net and 30 mullet later its off to my spot.

Dang, a jet skiier is in my spot anchored up and I know they are leaving, please leave, leave now and they are not leaveing! So I go N of them, yes they were fishing! I had to do the right thing and not be in my spot.

Anyway, they leave but I don't want to start the motor and move. Several bites of crabs, hardheads and questionable fish to know what happend to my bait. Sun has set and the games are now going to begine.

Finally a major hook up! The fish is not going to give in to me. It bust water and makes a drag ripping run. Off to the right of me and makes a sudden shot for the boat motor. Holding the rod in one hand and trimming up the motor the fish runs along side of the boat. Its a huge slot red.

Have you ever had your rod bent over and could hear the line hum down the shaft of your rod cutting threw the water? Just knowing you had that fish that would bring you right to the scales?

I did!

So, here is the tail end of the story! The fish ran back towards the reef ripping drag and curling around to the left of me in the pitch black. I noticed it was heading towards the anchor rope. Not sure if it was going over or under I kept my rod tip up! It was deffinatly under the rope and my line ran right up the kile and hung up on my plastic part that joins the bumper strip around the boat. I could feel the line grinding threw it as I was trying to get it free but that sudden snap noise was heard. The line was broke so was my heart!

That was a deffinate tournament standin. I should have walked back towards the front of the boat with that fish. Rod up was not the answer and rod at a level with the water would have given me a better clue in the dark.

My finesse was flawed by a mistake! I knew better as to walk back to the bow but I thought for sure I had it and the fish would turn. I looked Eye to Eye with my fish knowing I was going to pack it up and head towards the scales the first contack we made.

Can you say FISHING!

Line broke and one other rod out! Shark...up next to the boat and cut the line. So I am two rods out and time to retie. Bait breaking all around the boat now. I mean lots of bait breaking water and I have nothing at this time. Retie and I still came home with a 24" fat red.

I did throw a spook jr untill the sun sat! I should have worked it after dark. I have seen the suggestions of gulps but the fact is why use an imitation when the fish want live during the extreme pressure? It will be a deffinate hard habbit to break when I want to catch fish. My hot summer month pattern is hard to break!

Nice job Kevin......Too bad about the problems, but it sounds like how my trips go! You and Walt get out there and hammer em tomorrow night!
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
      Nice job Kevin......Too bad about the problems, but it sounds like how my trips go! You and Walt get out there and hammer em tomorrow night!
      X's 2!! Don't give up, you've still got a few good days of fishing left!
      I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Thanks for the report. Sounds like some tough breaks that didnt go your way. Better luck next time

Comment

Working...
        X