Line for the bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line for the bay?

I figured this would be a redundant topic, so glanced back through 3 pages of this sub-forum, didn't see anything.

Have been using 12lb mono, but recently had a few fish break off. What mono do you guys use for fishing soft plastics?

Also, what about the "super lines" such as PowerPro? Any problem with line twist from the soft plastics like Gulp? Backlashes?

what you guys think?

regular old 14 lb stren -- all that fancy stuff just catches fishermen.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Thanks guys.

Paul, is that 20 feet or 20 inches?

Comment

Inches -- He's talking about a leader -- usually 20 lb test or so. I tie on to the main line and forgo the leader but some people swear by em -- especially if you're in the shell.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Thanks. I figured Paul meant a leader, but wasn't sure.

As for the shell... I've found that fishing the GulP really slow works, but the shell does abrade the line. I started taking a spool of line with me, and respooling the reels every so often out on the water... both because of abrasions and line twist. Seems that sometimes my gulp runs without twisting, other times it is twist city. Gotta try to put them things on the hook STRAIGHT.

Comment

Re: Line for the bay?

12 pound Berkley is all I've ever used. But then again I never catch anything.
            I have an uncontrolable desire to wanna jerk my rod.

Comment

That's what I am using, Berkley Trilene Big Game 12. Haven't had any break-offs until yesterday with the skipjacks.

Comment

use a flouro leader 20 lb for me
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

Originally posted by Little Boat View Post
                  That's what I am using, Berkley Trilene Big Game 12. Haven't had any break-offs until yesterday with the skipjacks.
                  they whip your line!! good riddance by them unhooking themselves congrats! I hate them sumbucs
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

I use Fins Windtamer 20lb braid with a 4', 20lb flourocarbon leaded. Rarely have break offs but do have some pull the hook if I set the drag too tightly.
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Good lord Paul -- just spool the whole thing with 20lb if thats the case.
                      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I'm hooked on 20-30# braid, but it isn't for everybody.
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Awhile back I had bought some 20lb spectra, but never put it on any of my reels. Last night, I spooled up a reel with it, will try it out the next time I'm out there.

Comment

Re: Line for the bay?

I use braid 40/8 50/10 power pro that big so the line doesnt slide within itself as much and i dont lose on casting but im actually bout to switch to suffix braid saw some tests on it and it is more round and flexible that pp anyway with atleast 18" floro leader 20#.

Comment

Fifty?????? C'mon! You could probably use that stuff as a flounder gig!

Comment

Working...
                              X