Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Sailfish Kinda Day in Freeport

7/3
    I will start with the beginning of the trip.
    Had the pleasure of going out in my best friend's uncles 46 Bertram, a sweet rig indeed. First we headed about 50 miles out and found all the snapper we wanted at the second stop. I have only been offshore 4 times, but that is the first time I did NOT catch an undersized snapper. I couldn't believe the quality of the fish. We limited on snaps and then trekked on to Tequila. Nothing happening over there so we cruised in and hit a few other spots without a whole lot to show for our efforts. On the way in, we started trolling for kings 8-10 miles out and picked up a few. In addition to the russel lures, we were also trolling (I'm not sure what they are called) 2 of the colored skirts that sit above the hook and skip accross the top of the water. One of those reels went screaming. My dad was closest so he picked it up and set the hook....nothing. You could see the bait still skipping across the water. Then all of a sudden he CAME BACK for it! He smashed it and made a graceful leap. It's a sail!! 10-15 minutes later we had him in. 87 inches from tip of the bill to the tip of the tail. After some quick pictures, we started reviving him. We had some troubles and one guy even jumped in the water to get a better handle on him, but he finally took off. Beautiful fish! We were actually 7 miles off the beachfront when we caught him. I have never heard of them coming in that close but I guess you never know. I will definitely never forget this trip.

7/4
    Went back to sleep on the boat at Bridge Harbor Friday night and went out again on Independence day for a quick trip to catch some kings. We went out 10 or so miles and trolled around most of the day. We caught a lot of kings but most of them were barely legal so we only kept 3 of the bigger ones. Action was not fast and furious but enough to keep you interested.
    All in all an epic weekend.
    Ha I ended up taking 56 pictures of the sailfish trying to get the best shots. There was about a 3 second delay from when I push the button so I was trying to anticipate when he would jump. Here's what I got:
    First 2 snapper I caught back to back

Just a shot from the bridge

And there he is

Rescue OPS

This little sucker fish fell off the sail. He sucked himself on the deck and I couldn't pull him off! I had to get a filet knife and pry him up.

And of course the braggin' flag was raised for the trip in....
    Last edited by XtremeAngler; July 5, 2009, 02:55 PM.
    XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

That's awesome!! Definately a trip you will remember forever. Now I got the offshore bug haha.

Comment

Very nice! Congrats

AQUA PIMP
      AQUA PIMP......
      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Nice fish! All those snapper look good!
        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

thats a nice catch.
          Free advice for cold beer !

Comment

Nice pictures! looks like yall had alot of fun!

Comment

Nice sail!! Bailey and I have seen them in close around 15NM... way to hook up and get a successful release!
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Nice Sail. Good report.
                WS

Comment

Helofaday! on the big pond.WTG!
                  Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Awesome!
                    Don't be a Nancy!
                    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

cool good pics
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

That's something that you'll never forget. We caught one out of Port A in a SKA tournament 2 years ago about 15 miles out.
                        I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

Nice snaps and that is awesome about the Sail Fish!

Comment

Great report and pics.
                            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Purdy fish.

Tell your buddy to lay off the beans before the trip

Comment

Working...
                              X