West Maty to the Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Maty to the Colorado

Met up with Capt Jesse Arsola, Roger Friedrich of Quickswirl, and Scott(sorry I didn't get his last name) for a day of what we hoped would be tripletail. Unfortunately the wind didn't stay down and conditions just weren't the best. We did give it a shot early, but only managed a few platforms and markers before the water went yoo hoo on us. Prior to the tripletail attempt we were able to get in a wade in West and pull in some fish. There were sharks present so we opted for catch and release only. Scott took the way inside and hit the reds big time, multiple hookups with some to 28" all on a pinkhead spook jr. On the outside, the grass was somewaht difficult, so I untied my quickswirl and opted for a direct tie brown devil eye in rootbeer. Ended with 3 trout to 20"...nothing great, I should of went inside.

Well after, the wade, and the tripletail, we decided to head up the Colorado about 6-7 miles I'm guessing. We were past Selkirk and the 521 bridge that much I know. We stopped at the Port of Bay City a little off shoot of the Colorado. At the backend of this we found dink trout...in the hundreds. They were everywhere. After about 30 minutes of this we just went cruisin around lookin here and there, working some drains, or a point with bait busting, with very few results. It was around 3 by now and we were ready to call it a day, when Roger noticed 4 cows that had fallen off the bank and stuck in the mud/sand along the bank. Jesse made a few calls to peoplewho knew the land owners, but we couldn't just leave them there. They were obviously very tired and had been stuck for sometime. So Arsola's Reel Life Adventures became Arsola's Reel Life Wrangling and we went into action. It was pretty dicey because the cows were pretty scared as well as tired and I don't believe they thought we were trying to help. We got a rope around them, Jesse would put it in reverse and we pulled them out to deeper water where we could direct them to a beach without a steep bank and they could get to dry land....this is a lot easier to say than to do, believe me. Well our efforts paid off for 2 of the 4. The ones we saved were the ones that were in the worst way. We didn't leave until we knew someone was on the way to help the other 2, and 1 that we saved was pregnant.... so that was my good deed for the day.
    No fish pics here....its all beef!
    Attached Files
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Nice going Monte! Sounds like a full day!
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

nice report.WTG on helping the cows
      Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Thanks for the report. Good job helping the cows. How is Jesse's leg? I heard a few years back the bacteria got ahold of it and it was in bad shape

Comment

Great story and good on you!

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaSkiffin View Post
            Thanks for the report. Good job helping the cows. How is Jesse's leg? I heard a few years back the bacteria got ahold of it and it was in bad shape
            Completely healed other than scarring.
            Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Yeehaw! Looks like you been rode hard and put up wet after all that! Good job

Comment

WTG Monte, I always knew you had to be good at something, I knew it wasn't fishing just wasn't sure what it was, I think you found a new niche lol....

Give me a shout need to hit the big pond

Comment

Originally posted by Seaweed View Post
                  Give me a shout need to hit the big pond

Next flat spell...give me a shout!
                  Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Today was good although not glass flat but flat enouhg

Comment

Originally posted by Seaweed View Post
                      Today was good although not glass flat but flat enouhg
                      Yeah, the wind didn't get up until well after 2. I was expecting a lot worse.
                      Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Nice job! when i first saw the headliner i thought you actually went all the way to CO... prob. b/c im stuck in the great state of CO right now....

Comment

Originally posted by slyell View Post
                          Nice job! when i first saw the headliner i thought you actually went all the way to CO... prob. b/c im stuck in the great state of CO right now....
                          Be up your way the end of August first of September, save some browns for me!
                          Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Working...
                          X