7/11 Galveston - 10 or so miles out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/11 Galveston - 10 or so miles out

Got the offshore bug after last weekend so we decided to try a little in our own 19 foot Sea Hunt.
    Launched at 6am at the Yacht Basin (which I will never do again, $10 launch fee and long lines of idiots) and started off trying to find some trout. After catching a few smacks at the boat cut but no trout, we decided to head south. We ran southeast about 11 miles from the boat cut to a series of rigs. Stopped at the first one and couldn't get anything to hit a ribbon. To pass the time, i put a big weight on and a live shrimp and threw it down to the bottom. Started catching gulf trout (look just like sandies). As I hook into the 2nd fish, I start reeling and all of sudden my drag starts screaming on my Ambassadeur (15 lb test). A fish surfaces and kinda does a half jump and I immediately think ling. After another 10 seconds he pops off. As I reel in I can feel a dead weight and find a gulftrout on my hook in critical condition. It was likely a shark that got ahold of it but maybe it was a ling? The bite marks were not very deep though. I would think a shark would make a clean bite but who knows. So instead of throwing back the trout we start keeping them and put out a couple drifters with gulftrout on them. It wasn't long before a reel goes screaming. 15 minutes later I land somewhere around a 5 foot shark (can anyone ID from the pic? my guess is bull?) We played around with sharks for a while and then tried to start trolling for kings. But we had some lure issues and major tangleups so we ended up calling it a day. Not a whole lot of fish caught but I did get my biggest shark to date and had a blast clearing the jetties. I'm trying to learn and get into the whole offshore thing so hopefully next time I will bring some meat home!

Its kind of a crappy pic because you can't see the whole fish but it's all I got. And he was released
    XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Looks bullish as sharpnose have a weird dorsal...ended up going a little further out with Capt Hardhead...found many kings and activity around 28 miles but too dang HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sure is fun though...bet that shark pulled some line too
    sigpic

Comment

Atlantic Sharpnose? Cody aka Blackbeard can tell you for sure.

The shark was probably the one that hit your bait...
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Sounds like a fun day
        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Thanks for the report and pic. Cant help you with the shark ID though

Comment

Working...
          X