10-20/21-12 Windy weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-20/21-12 Windy weekend

Had a nephew come down this weekend with the sole mission of catching a redfish. Went for a half day wade around SLP on sat and he was skunked. He lost everything he hooked. I caught a few fish for dinner and lost quite a few as well. Headed out last night in the wind for what turned out to be a waste of time gigging trip. Saw 2 small ones and called it quits due to crappy conditions.
    This am was the last shot before he had to go home so I took him to the marsh for another shot at a red. Trolled around a bit and finally I saw about 8 or 10 working a grass line knocking shrimp out of the water. He threw a spinnerbait about 10 feet up from them and let it sit until they were over it. One twitch and it was on! First red ever 22" in the box. He followed a few minutes later with a 16" flatty. I was determined to get him a trout for the slam at this point so we headed out to look for one. I was trolling across a drop off in the diversionary and I saw a fish knock bait out of he water near the grass. He put a plum chartreuse assassin on top of it and BAM! 22" flounder. He was beside himself with excitement! A few casts later and he had a 16" inch trout. This was not only his first slam it was his first time to catch either of these tree types of fish. He's already planning a return trip.
    Shut up and FISH!!

ps.. that big flatty had about a 10 inch mullet in it's gut -- I'll post up a pic of it when I get it off the camera..
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Excellent first slam! I remember my first one like it was tomorrow!
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Slammer ! ! ! ! WTG

Comment

Great way to make a new angler for life!WTG Bro!.....I am into stomach contents CSI! cool stuff!
          West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Sweetness!! Way to put him on em.
            KEEP IT WET..

Comment

WTG, Mike! Nice memory for the young man.

Comment

22" flounder is SOLID Mike...real solid...good job
                sigpic

Comment

Really nice! That is a big flounder. Gotta love a Texas Saltwater Slam!

Comment

Looks like a great trip for the nephew, bet he's hooked now! Congrats on the slam!

Comment

10-20/21-12 Windy weekend

Lol I shoulda clarified. My nephew is 33 ( I'm 39). Yea i was an uncle when i was 6 --lol. He's a really good bass fisherman but has no experience in the salt. He was shaking with excitement after he boated the red and the flounder. I was really happy I could put him on some fish.
                      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Good job, the Young Man is Hooked for Life.

Comment

That is bad ***!
                          TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

A slam is a good day for sure way to go bro.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                              Lol I shoulda clarified. My nephew is 33 ( I'm 39). Yea i was an uncle when i was 6 --lol. He's a really good bass fisherman but has no experience in the salt. He was shaking with excitement after he boated the red and the flounder. I was really happy I could put him on some fish.
                              I knew you could do it when we talked about it bro.The question is he gonna turn you on when you hit the fresh stuff?Good job Mike!
                              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Working...
                              X